Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:41 pm

No. But losing a supermajority is a sure sign of a failed one.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:43 pm

You have an advanced education, Prof, but continue to deny the overwhelming amount of data that shows for the past 50 years, the GOP has used race-baiting as its principal recruiting tool.
Really? For every conservative case of "the GOP has used race-baiting as its principal recruiting tool" I can give you five cases of liberal Democrats who "use race-baiting as its principal recruiting tool." You give a race-baiting quote from David Duke, I'll raise you five from Ta Nehisi Coates, another five from Maya Angelou, another five from Cornel West, at least a dozen from Louis Farrakhan, and toss in a few from Kanye West, or Janeane Garofalo, from any number of spokesmen for black people.

The difference is, the right's racist kook fringe (e.g. Duke) are despised by 99% of Republicans. The left's racist kook fringe (e.g. Coates, West, Angelou) are esteemed as scholars by most Democrats and prized regular guests on CNN, MSNBC, etc.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Not that facts matter to the gobbler up thread, but Bush never had what obammer had in the senate...

The Senate operates with the 60-vote-requirement filibuster rule. There are 100 Senate seats, and it takes 60 Senate votes for "closure" on a piece of legislation....to bring that piece of legislation to the floor of the Senate for amendments and a final vote....that final vote is decided by a simple majority in most cases. But it takes 60 Senate votes to even have a chance of being voted upon.
"Total control", then, of the Senate requires 60 Democratic or Republican Senators.
On January 20th, 2009, 57 Senate seats were held by Democrats with 2 Independents (Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman) caucusing with the Democrats...which gave Democrats 59 mostly-reliable Democratic votes in the Senate, one shy of filibuster-proof "total control." Republicans held 41 seats.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:38 pm

And did anybody notice that, when the GOP had the presidency and both houses of congress, they didn't reinstitute slavery, or revive Jim Crow, or abolish social security and Medicare?

How's this for "race baiting as a primary recruiting tool'? - from the Vice President of the United States..

[youtube]Q1PVOIqQAns[/youtube]

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:24 pm

"And did anybody notice that, when the GOP had the presidency and both houses of congress, they didn't reinstitute slavery, or revive Jim Crow"

Wow, talk about setting a low bar...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:32 pm

HERMINE!!!

First hurricane to make Fla landfall in 11 years....climate bedwetters all over will partee tonight.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:33 pm

The GOP lined up behind Bush without fail. Blaming him for fractionalism 8 years later is laughable.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Correct. If you keep posting such counter-revolutionary stuff, you will called a racist.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:38 pm

1% support the KKK types? David Duke beat a sitting Republican governor and got 60% of the white vote in Louisiana running for Governor
My Dad is my hero still.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:25 am

Seriously? You are going to gauge it by that election? Because of Louisiana's stupid election rules, those poor folks had to choose between a racist and a crook.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 am

Was that the Edwin Edwards election? Where Edwards was caught gambling with state money?

His election slogan was, "Vote for the Lizard, not the Wizard." Politics are always bizarre down on the bayou. See the Long brothers.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:45 am

Owlman wrote:1% support the KKK types? David Duke beat a sitting Republican governor and got 60% of the white vote in Louisiana running for Governor
Okay. Here is my official response: Jesse Jackson ran for president in 1984.
Jackson garnered 3,282,431 primary votes, or 18.2 percent of the total, in 1984,[1] and won five primaries and caucuses, including Louisiana, the District of Columbia, South Carolina, Virginia, and one of two separate contests in Mississippi.[2]

As he had gained 21% of the popular vote but only 8% of delegates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Jac ... aign,_1984
It doesn't say what percentage of the black vote he got, but I think it is safe to say it was a lot higher than the percentage of the white vote Duke got in LA. He also ran for president in 1988:
Jackson captured 6.9 million votes and won 11 contests: seven primaries (Alabama, the District of Columbia, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico and Virginia) and four caucuses (Delaware, Michigan, South Carolina and Vermont).[6] Jackson also scored March victories in Alaska's caucuses and Texas's local conventions, despite losing the Texas primary.[7][8] Some news accounts credit him with 13 wins.[9] Briefly, after he won 55% of the vote in the Michigan Democratic caucus, he was considered the frontrunner for the nomination, as he surpassed all the other candidates in total number of pledged delegates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Jac ... aign,_1988
Again, it doesn't say what percentage of the black vote he got, but I think it is safe to say it was a lot higher than the percentage of the white vote Duke got in LA.

Why am I mentioning Jesse Jackson? Because if there is ever a Hall of Fame for "Race baiting as a primary recruiting tool," it will be named after Jesse Jackson. He is the Godfather Emeritus of that industry. I use the term "Godfather" intentionally. He made a fortune walking into small-medium businesses and telling the owner, "This place is a hotbed of racism. I hear you even have KKK rallies and Nazi meetings here on the weekends. But if you show you are down with struggle and make out a six figure check to the Rainbow Coalition, and hire my kids to no-show jobs, I'll let this go. But if you don't, I'll bring my rent-a-mob and my friends in the media down here tomorrow and shut your white ass down."

When Italians do that, it's called racketeering and RICO. When Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do that, it's called community organizing.

Speaking of Al Sharpton, I'm saving him and Freddie's Fashion Mart for the next complaint about whites "Race baiting as a primary recruiting tool." Go ahead and plan for it.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:59 am

I don't think Texaco and Coca-Cola are small-medium business, just sayin'.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:53 am

"Because of Louisiana's stupid election rules, those poor folks had to choose between a racist and a crook."

So they went with the racist...

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:28 am

Professor Tiger wrote:And did anybody notice that, when the GOP had the presidency and both houses of congress, they didn't reinstitute slavery, or revive Jim Crow, or abolish social security and Medicare?
Re-instituting slavery requires a constitutional amendment change, which will likely never again happen in America.
As for the other stuff - it wasn't from a lack of trying:

A History Of Paul Ryan’s Attempts To Dismantle Social Security
https://thinkprogress.org/a-history-of- ... .kxfw4g422

Court Helps GOP Revive the Era of Jim Crow
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/2013/0 ... 10603.html

GOP Celebrates 50th Anniversary Of The Voting Rights Act With Coded Call For More Voter Suppression
https://thinkprogress.org/gop-celebrate ... .l3id62idf

Ryan supported Social Security privatization in 2005. What was that again?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... hat-again/

Bush’s privatization agenda for Medicare
http://www.progressive.org/news/2008/02 ... a-medicare
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:29 am

Toemeesleather wrote:I don't think Texaco and Coca-Cola are small-medium business, just sayin'.
That's true. I just did some quick Google checking, and found some Chicago Tribune stories about Jesse leading protests against Anhauser Busch. When they gave Jesse's 28 year son, with absolutely no experience in the beer business. an extremely lucrative beer distributorship in Chicago, the protests stopped.

But that's not race baiting as a primary recruiting tool.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:03 pm

hedge wrote:"Because of Louisiana's stupid election rules, those poor folks had to choose between a racist and a crook."

So they went with the racist...
Well, choosing to live with someone who hates blacks and Jews and someone who will steal from you constantly, will be different depending on your race.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:44 pm

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:39 pm

"Re-instituting slavery requires a constitutional amendment change, which will likely never again happen in America."

Really going out on a limb with that prediction, eh, JD?

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:58 pm

sardis wrote:Seriously? You are going to gauge it by that election? Because of Louisiana's stupid election rules, those poor folks had to choose between a racist and a crook.

What are you talking about? Duke beat a sitting Republican governor to go into a runoff with Edwards. Everyone wants to talk about Edwards, but Duke had to beat out the Republican to get to that election, 31% to 26%. Edwards got 33%. So yes, I point to that election.

Also equating Jesse Jackson as equivalent with the Klan? Not a fan of Jackson personally. Never have been. But serious funny view of what the KKK stands for in this country.
My Dad is my hero still.