Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by bluetick » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:13 pm

I suppose they're all liars to a degree.

But the earth being 6000 years old, and Joseph building the pyramids? I know you know this guy is batshit.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Cletus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:18 pm

bluetick wrote:I suppose they're all liars to a degree.

But the earth being 6000 years old, and Joseph building the pyramids? I know you know this guy is batshit.
He's a religious lunatic. Unfortunately, to many voters and people here, this is a feature not a bug.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:37 am

Missouri football players to boycott until president Tim Wolfe resigns

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /75399504/

More than 30 football players at the University of Missouri will not participate in any practices or games until Missouri System president Tim Wolfe resigns or is terminated. Several black team members announced their decision to strike on social media Saturday night and Missouri's Legion of Black Collegians posted a statement on behalf of the team with a picture of players unified in support of the boycott.

Wolfe's response to a series of racist incidents has been considered inadequate by many students who believe racism has poisoned the campus. A graduate student, Jonathan Butler, announced earlier in the week he was going on a hunger strike until Wolfe was removed. The most recent racist incident came Oct. 24 when a swastika was drawn with human feces on a college dorm's white wall.

Sophomore defensive back Anthony Sherrils tweeted: "The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe "Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere" We will no longer participate in any football related activities until president Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experiences. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!!"

Several more African-American players, including senior running back and team captain Russell Hansbrough, followed with a series of passionate tweets. Missouri’s student body is 77% white and 7% black, while 58 of the school’s 84 scholarship football players are African-American.

Missouri's athletic department issued a statement saying it's "aware of the declarations made tonight by many of our student-athletes. We all must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our student-athletes right to do so."

Junior cornerback John Gibson tweeted that the Tigers' coaching staff and white teammates were also in support of the strike. And offensive lineman Paul Adams, a white player, expressed his support publicly on Twitter.

In the 15 months since African-American teenager Michael Brown was fatally shot by a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., universities around the country have become home to protests. Missouri's campus in Columbia sits about two hours west of Ferguson.

Wolfe is the president for the Missouri System, which consists of four universities: University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou), University of Missouri-St. Louis, Missouri S&T and University of Missouri Kansas City. Missouri's chancellor is R. Bowen Loftin.

Wolfe issued a statement apologizing for his reaction at Missouri's homecoming parade when the ConcernedStudent1950 group approached his car. "My behavior seemed like I did not care. That was not my intention. I was caught off guard in the moment," he wrote. "I am asking us to move forward in addressing the racism that exists at our university — and it does exist."

The most recent previous strike in college football came at Grambling State in 2013 when players protested for poor working conditions.

Missouri lost Thursday to Mississippi State, 31-13. Its next slated game is Nov. 14 against BYU.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:01 pm

The university would lose millions if games are cancelled; the local economy would lose millions as well. But if the UM Board of Trustees caves and terminates the prez...whoa Nellie. Every team in the SEC is 55-65% black...starters are probably 75-85%...thought bubbles may be popping up all over.... ...

[UPDATE] The prez announced his (forced) resignation...Livefootball matters!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Bachmann- Jesus Coming 'Soon'- Urgent that Jews Convert to Christianity ASAP

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/miche ... le/2575896

Nobody here gave this whacko any support four years ago, and I believe the same is holding true wrt Carson this time around. Kudos.

10ac
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by 10ac » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm

bluetick wrote:The university would lose millions if games are cancelled; the local economy would lose millions as well. But if the UM Board of Trustees caves and terminates the prez...whoa Nellie. Every team in the SEC is 55-65% black...starters are probably 75-85%...thought bubbles may be popping up all over.... ...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 9-11-24-09
Let 'er Blow!

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:59 pm

bluetick wrote:The university would lose millions if games are cancelled; the local economy would lose millions as well. But if the UM Board of Trustees caves and terminates the prez...whoa Nellie. Every team in the SEC is 55-65% black...starters are probably 75-85%...thought bubbles may be popping up all over.... ...

[UPDATE] The prez announced his (forced) resignation...Livefootball matters!
This is what I shared with some colleagues yesterday afternoon. Football is the biggest agent of social change in the South. If the choice in Alabama is between letting blacks vote or fielding an all-White Tide team against LSU, then, damn it, let the nigras vote!
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:40 am

I would like to know what were the "racially charged incidents" that the former president failed to respond to. That makes a big difference.

If law enforcement majors were shooting African-American studies majors, or they were having Kollegiate Klan rallies in the Quad, or they were putting whites only signs on the water fountains in the dorms, and the president wasn't doing anything about it, then the anger is certainly justified, and the president needs to go.

But if the "racially charged incidents" were merely aggrieving the campus PC thought and speech police - e.g. the president dared to say "all lives matter," or refused demands to rename the stadium after Ta Nehisi Coates, or refused to give black students free tuition as reparations - then that's a completely different story.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:46 am

Professor of Mass Media doesn't believe in the first amendment...

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/10/media/u ... index.html

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:21 am

On many college campuses, freedom of speech only applies to liberal speech.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:52 am

And tell us about the drugs. And that loud rock and roll music.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:57 am

This business will get out of control, it will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:05 am

aTm wrote:This business will get out of control, it will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
It could, but I don't think it'll be about social injustice. I truly believe there'll be strikes for player's wages eventually. The Northwestern attempt at a player's union didn't succeed, but that was just the initial probe at the enemy's lines.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:09 am

Instead of Richard Nixon, this time we're gonna get Donald Trump...heh.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:18 am

Nixon came to our campus back in '70 - the Billy Graham Crusade was held at Neyland Stadium and it was his first public appearance since Kent State and the invasion of Cambodia. Good Lord what a circus...Nixon, Rev. Graham, and Johnny Cash as the musical guest...90,000 worshippers and 5,000 protesters wanting a piece of Tricky Dick. Knoxville set a record for single-day arrests that'll probably stand for eternity.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:42 am

You were in college in 1970? You must be older than I am.

Never trust anybody over 60.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:04 pm

A) I was in middle school at THAT time (UT '80), B) I'm younger than your old ass, and C) it's never trust anyone over 30

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 pm

bluetick wrote:Nixon came to our campus back in '70
So Nixon came to your middle school campus?

If so, the Secret Service probably had to disarm the Hatfield and the McCoy kids in your class on that particular day.

billy bob bocephus
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by billy bob bocephus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:You were in college in 1970? You must be older than I am.

Never trust anybody over 60.
I resemble that remark - so does sav and OS (who hasn't shown up for a long time)

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
bluetick wrote:Nixon came to our campus back in '70
So Nixon came to your middle school campus?

If so, the Secret Service probably had to disarm the Hatfield and the McCoy kids in your class on that particular day.
Our campus.. the panoptic "our" - Knoxville's own, if you will. Notice I didn't say "my" campus. As for the gratuitous Hatfield and McCoy quip - those families hailed from Eastern KY and Western WVA.

Maybe it's the company I kept, but through the years more people told me they got arrested that day than people told me they were in attendance at the Crusade.