Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Toemeesleather
Senior

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 am

Owlman wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:Owl, "Frack baby frack! Drill baby drill in South Dakota, Alaska, the Gulf of Mexico, ANYWHERE but the Middle East. Let's exploit oil in THIS hemisphere and knock the Saudis off that list of top US oil suppliers. i don't trust the Saudis and their extremist Wahabbi brand of Islam either.

Hedge, how 'bout George Bernard Shaw? We need to keep a watchful eye on him too. You can't trust those Irishmen, ya know.
Unless you require that a certain amount of oil produce in the U.S. not be sold on the open market and cost restrictive, then it doesn't matter whether it's frack or not. Prices even if home produced will still be subject to the world market which means we'll still be catering to the middle east as much as we do now.

A little over 1 year later.....

DUBAI/KHOBAR (Reuters) - Saudi Aramco has sharply cut its November prices for Asian oil customers in the clearest sign yet the world's largest exporter is competing for market share.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Toe, are going to the Tech vs. Miami game and get your very own Star Wars storm trooper helmet?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:29 am

I thought Tech dropped football a couple years ago.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:16 am

Apparently so do a lot of Tech students and other fans. That storm trooper helmet promotion was pure marketing genius. They are desperately trying to boost attendance at the games.

I am fond of GA Tech. My parents were huge fans and season ticket holders, so I developed my passion for college football at Grant Field. I would have gone to Tech if I hadn't sucked in math. I might have gone to Georgia but I was raised to hate them.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

gule
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: South Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by gule » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm

couldn't get in, eh?

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:20 pm

I probably couldn't have gotten into Tech with my mediocre math grades and math SAT score (50th percentile). I'm sure I could have gotten into UGA, which wasn't hard back then. Anybody with a B average and 1000 SAT score got in. That is definitely not the case in the Hope scholarship era.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:17 pm

MERGERS & ACQUISITIONSINVESTMENT BANKINGPRIVATE EQUITYHEDGE FUNDSI.P.O./OFFERINGSVENTURE CAPITALLEGAL/REGULATORY
Hackers’ Attack Cracked 10 Financial Firms in Major Assault
By MATTHEW GOLDSTEIN, NICOLE PERLROTH and DAVID E. SANGER OCTOBER 3, 2014 9:39 PMOctober 3, 2014 9:39 pm 64 Comments
The huge cyberattack on JPMorgan Chase that touched more than 83 million households and businesses was one of the most serious computer intrusions into an American corporation. But it could have been much worse.

Questions over who the hackers are and the approach of their attack concern government and industry officials. Also troubling is that about nine other financial institutions — a number that has not been previously reported — were also infiltrated by the same group of overseas hackers, according to people briefed on the matter. The hackers are thought to be operating from Russia and appear to have at least loose connections with officials of the Russian government, the people briefed on the matter said.
Those crazy Ruskies.
Let 'er Blow!

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Czar Vladimir says hello.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:11 am

How refreshing to read a Dem (or reporter for that matter) w/a modicum of honesty about current events.

In an interview at his home with Capital Download, USA TODAY's video newsmaker series, Panetta says Obama erred:

• By not pushing the Iraqi government harder to allow a residual U.S. force to remain when troops withdrew in 2011, a deal he says could have been negotiated with more effort. That "created a vacuum in terms of the ability of that country to better protect itself, and it's out of that vacuum that ISIS began to breed." Islamic State also is known as ISIS and ISIL.

• By rejecting the advice of top aides — including Panetta and then-secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton — to begin arming Syrian rebels in 2012. If the U.S. had done so, "I do think we would be in a better position to kind of know whether or not there is some moderate element in the rebel forces that are confronting (Syrian President Bashar) Assad."

• By warning Assad not to use chemical weapons against his own people, then failing to act when that "red line" was crossed in 2013. Before ordering airstrikes, Obama said he wanted to seek congressional authorization, which predictably didn't happen.

The reversal cost the United States credibility then and is complicating efforts to enlist international allies now to join a coalition against the Islamic State, Panetta says. "There's a little question mark to, is the United States going to stick this out? Is the United States going to be there when we need them?"

...but Panetta's portrait of Obama is more sharply drawn and explicitly critical.

In the book's final chapter, however, he writes that Obama's "most conspicuous weakness" is "a frustrating reticence to engage his opponents and rally support for his cause." Too often, he "relies on the logic of a law professor rather than the passion of a leader." On occasion, he "avoids the battle, complains, and misses opportunities."

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:22 am

" Too often, he "relies on the logic of a law professor rather than the passion of a leader." "

Certainly couldn't say that about Hitler...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:54 am

And...Panetta is just being kind using law professor when community organizer would fit.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:37 am

Toemeesleather wrote:
The reversal cost the United States credibility then and is complicating efforts to enlist international allies now to join a coalition against the Islamic State, Panetta says. "There's a little question mark to, is the United States going to stick this out? Is the United States going to be there when we need them?"
No doubt you would gobble up this neocon bullshit. The mere fact that WE have to put together a coalition speaks of the ridiculousness of our role as ME problem-solver ie. "policeman." Either OPEC and Iran are willing to put an end to these bandits or they're not. Fuck'em if they just want to sit and watch, like those Turkish tank battalions yesterday.

If you ever had to push your car into a gas station back in the early 80's embargo days.....well, the thought of a few beheaded oil shieks doesn't seem like the biggest tragedy.

And if ISIS does manage to make some kind of caliphate with borders and their own national anthem......then 10ac has a ready remedy for that, involving plutonium, a lot of sand, and a resulting glassy residue.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:07 pm

The embargo was in the 70's, and your head is up the hershey highway.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 pm

There were two embargos, the second one beginning in the spring of '79 and spilling over into 1980.

Stick to bird mortality, of which you with your red rider bb gun can claim a modicum of knowledge.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:02 pm

The number of stories/articles brought up by googling arab oil embargo gets about 50 to 1 from 1973-74, so once again your math skills prove you to be 100% gobbling dyed-in-the-blue dim.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm

On Jan. 16, 1979, the Shah of Iran was overthrown, and the Ayatollah Khomeini came to power. He cut Iran's oil production, which reduced shipments of crude oil to the United States. Gasoline prices soared, and the American economy plunged into a recession. The threat of a gasoline shortage and rationing created long lines at gas stations. It was 1973-74 all over again.

http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... oil-crisis

Or as Hillary would say, what does it really matter?

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Correct, at least we have a prez now that understands the oil business, which has kept crude oil under control the past 16-20 months despite tremendous turmoil in the mid-east, which in years past would have the price of a barrel north of $150.

No War for Oil! on Brock's watch.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Thank God we voted out Carter in 1980.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Was there any other choice? Iran was afraid of Ronnie based on his movies. Those sand-pounding raghead camel-jockeys probably thought he wasnt acting.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Definition of karma....

[youtube]nwyJl4Zu4zs[/youtube]