Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: ACC - Conference Discussion

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:08 am

KeviNole wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/7 ... age-to-sec

Fact: The ACC went 4-0 against the SEC on Saturday, the first time in 14 years it swept its conference rivals.

Fact: The ACC has more wins against Power 5 teams in 2014 than any other Power 5 conference, including four against teams ranked in the top 10 when they played.

Fact: Florida State has won 28 straight games.

Fact: The ACC has 11 bowl-eligible teams for the second straight season.

The spin needs to stop because good teams exist beyond the SEC banner. The ACC just proved that in a big way.

I'm not a #goacc guy and really think many of the programs need to step up their game, but I get absolutely disgusted with the overblown SEC ass-kissing that ESPN tried to shove down everyone's throats this year. Three SECW in the first CFP poll? How'd that work out for ya?
Have to admit, dropping 12-0 FSU to 4th (effectively making them the "bubble" team) is pretty retarded.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:14 am

If any team loses this next week, they're out. Ibut I would gladly flip Bama with FSU. Just as long as it's the Sugar.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:18 am

AlabamAlum wrote:If any team loses this next week, they're out.
Yup.

So how would the SEC Commissioner take it if the first playoff consisted of FSU, Oregon, TCU, & Baylor?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27 am

He'd be fine with it. You earn your way in these things. You lose this late, you don't deserve to go.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by KeviNole » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:08 am

I really think FSU was moved down to set up a matchup with Bama in the Sugar Bowl, and let TCU and Oregon play in the Rose Bowl. The committee even commented early on that geographical matchups would be considered. And most FSU fans are much happier with an appearance in New Orleans, even against the almighty Bama, rather than traveling to Pasadena against Oregon.

It would be interesting to see what the fallout would be if Bama lost and how they would shuffle the Top 4. Of course it won't matter for FSU since we're losing to the Wreck...

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:55 am

Those would be great match-ups. I only wish this was last year's FSU team, then it would be perfect...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:28 am

With all due respect to Bama, last year's FSU team would destroy them and any team out there this year. Bama is a very good but not elite team this year, but last year's FSU team was definitely elite.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:40 am

Destroy is probably too strong. Alabama and Auburn were very comparable last year. And 2013 Bama and 2014 Bama are very similar. And certainly, FSU didn't destroy Auburn.

But, yeah, my money would be on FSU to win.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:06 am

Concur with AA's take on that. FSU's team last year was way better than this year's squad, and they were in a dogfight against Auburn, who by all rights should've lost to Bama last year, but still, it was a close game. It's hard for me to judge the relative strength of Bama teams over the past 5 years, they all seem to be dominant (except that one year they lost (gasp) 3 games, but still destroyed their bowl opponent). It seemed like last year's team was deflated in their bowl game vs. Oklahoma, kinda felt like they were thinking "Fuck it, we didn't win the NC, who gives a shit?" That's probably not the case, but it kinda felt like that. I concur that last year's FSU team was elite, but can't understand why you say this year's (or last year's, for that matter) Bama teams are not...

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:16 pm

I firmly believe that Fisher fucked up the first half of the MNC game by not hiding his signals, and Craig had tipped off the defense. Once the second player came screaming to Fisher that "they're stealing our signals!" he started using the towel boys to hide the signals.

Before the towels: 3.36 yards per play (well below the season avg of 7.41 YPP)
After the towels: 7.66 YPP, about our season avg and about what AU gave up to excellent offenses (UGA, Bama)

Here is Kelvin Benjamin telling Fisher "Dameyune callin' all the plays" - You may also recall Bill Snyder accusing AU of stealing their signals earlier this season.

There is nothing illegal about what they did and it's smart, but I do believe that the MNC game would have been a blowout if we had the towel boys out all game. In any event, we were (IMO) a superior team to AU last year but got in a deep hole due to offensive ineptitude/signal stealing and horrible punting.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:20 pm

hedge wrote:they all seem to be dominant (except that one year they lost (gasp) 3 games
As I recall, Saban complained vociferously that too many teams had bye weeks before playing them that year, leading to better preparation and ultimately victories over the Tide.

That has been the case at least 6 times this season for the Noles.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Wait, Kev, I'm not saying FSU wasn't an elite team last year, I think they were. I'm just saying I'm not sure they were clearly and significantly better than Bama or Auburn. And, as AA said, this year's Bama squad is pretty much on par with last year's. This is obviously a debate that can never be proven (as most sports debates are), and I don't think anybody is saying FSU wasn't really good last year, just questioning why you think they would've destroyed Bama. Maybe they would have, but based on the games I saw last year (outside their bowl game), Bama was pretty solid...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:16 pm

And of course, AA says last year's FSU team would've beaten this year's Bama team, so that's almost a slam dunk that Bama would win...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:09 pm

My only point is 'destroy'. Bama has lost by 14 a couple of times with Saban, but most of the times, we're in the game late on what few losses we've had.
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Auburns funky offense is a tough matchup for anybody when they are on - Bama's more traditional offense would have been much easier for the Noles Defense to contain last year. Having said that I think FSU wins that game but Bama would get their share if you played some type of best of 7 series.

But thats last year.

Only way Noles beat Bama this year is if Jameis goes nuts or Bama helps us with turnovers and penalties.

Straight up they beat us 8/10 times.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:15 pm

8/10 is strong...I think you're overvaluing Bama. *IF* we could keep Cooper from getting behind our DBs, which has been an issue all year, I like our chances against Sims though he has been pretty good. But I really like Jameis against the Bama defense, and if Cook can continue to run like he has, we should be back to scoring 35+ again especially in a dome. I'd favor Bama but it would be more like 6/10. But all 10 would be within 7 points or so.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 am

"Only way Noles beat Bama this year is if Jameis goes nuts or Bama helps us with turnovers and penalties.

Straight up they beat us 8/10 times."

If only we could have a 3rd place game so we could find out........

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:19 pm

I like the idea of a consolation game!!

Not

Now that the SEC West has been proven to be overrated a bit - I like our chances much better than I did a month ago - but alas it doesnt matter

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Have you forgotten the narrative Doc? The SEC doesn't care about bowl games unless they're championship games.

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:24 pm

true enough