College Football

The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: College Football

Post by bluetick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:43 pm

According to a survey conducted this week by the Seton Hall Sports Poll, 84% of Americans surveyed support NFL players’ right to protest—even if they vary on how they feel the protest should be carried out.

16% of respondents say that protesters should be dropped from their team.

The Seton Hall poll surveyed 845 adults, on cell phones and landlines, from Monday through Wednesday of this week. It has a margin of error of 3.4%.

The Dotard will not be pleased. Especially after the health bill fiasco pt. 3 and the AL Senate primary.

And always Mueller. Always.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Seton Hall Sports....seriously?

Amidst the hubbub surrounding President Trump’s condemnation of football players kneeling for the national anthem and his statements that such players should be fired, those on the Left and those on the Right have assumed that their side is likely to benefit from the controversy. So, who’s right?

We now have three polls on the issue. Here’s how it breaks down.

Americans Hate Kneeling For The Anthem. The polls show that Americans don’t like players kneeling for the anthem. According to the Reuters/Ipsos poll, 69% of Americans say they stand in silence while the national anthem is played. And just 40% of Americans agree with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s stance on the issue, compared with 51% who disagree.

Americans Are In Favor Of Requiring Players To Stand. According to the Reuters/Ipsos poll, 58% of Americans believe that players should be required by the NFL to stand for the anthem, to 33% opposing. That same poll shows that 43% of Americans oppose how the NFL is handling the issue.

Americans Are Split On Firing Players, But Largely Oppose. The Cato Institute survey found that 61% of Americans opposed firing players for failing to stand for the national anthem. There are serious partisan splits on the issue: Democrats oppose firings by an 80% to 19% margin, with Republicans are in favor 65% to 34%. In the GOP Firehouse Strategies poll of swing states, 38.1% agree that players should be fired, while 39.1% disagree. The rest aren’t sure. The Reuters/Ipsos poll suggested that only 29% of Americans wanted players fired for failing to stand, to 57% opposed.

lets throw in a Remington Research Poll while we're at it

http://remingtonresearchgroup.com/surve ... -25-17.pdf
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 pm

President Donald Trump is unfit for office, isn't level-headed, and should stop tweeting, a majority of voters said in a Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday.

Overall, 56% of voters say Trump is not fit to serve as president. Trump's disapproval rating is 57%, with only 36% of voters approving of the job he's doing amid his administration's response to the devastation in Puerto Rico and his party's failure to pass legislation repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act

Most people have heard of the Quinnipiac Poll.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Saint » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 am

eCat wrote: ok

seems an irrelevant point in the larger picture but whatever.
Actually that's the very crux of it all. The black athletes are protesting unfair treatment by blacks at the hands of the police and in general, throughout the course of black people's history in America. Even more specifically, they're protesting that Kaepernick has been blackballed by the league for starting this practice.

On the other hand, the people who are outraged by it think the protesting players are ungrateful and disrespectful towards our military (in large part because most of that ilk equates everything to military service). Below the surface, they are upset that black people in America in 2017 are complaining that they don't have it better.

So the crux is that you have two "sides" that are in fact many different perspectives based on an utter lack of understanding of another side, as well as, in many cases, their own side.

It's one big Retard Fest, IMO, and yet another indication that we are a nation of idiots. I fucking hate the national anthem, at least being played before every goddamn sporting event in the country. From a professional standpoint, it's just an unnecessary delay to my job. Anybody who thinks listening to a song that existed for 119 years before it was made the national anthem makes them some kind of patriot is a blithering idiot who should be forced to work as a shift manager at Piggly Wiggly. I also hate the pledge of allegiance because my version of America means that not a single one of us needs to pledge allegiance to jack shit. My people came here in the 1600s. We killed Indians, we fucked Indians, we learned how to live off this land, some of us have died fighting for it and some of us would gladly kill anyone just as much as look at them if they came fucking with shit around our way. I don't need to pledge allegiance to any goddamn body and anyone who thinks American should pledge allegiance to America misses the whole damn point of America.

But I stand for the national anthem at every game. I put my hand on my heart and recite the pledge of allegiance each Monday at my son's Cub Scouts meeting. Why? Because it's fucking easier than taking a stand over something that I really don't even care that much about and having to explain it to dozens or even hundreds of people who are for all intents and purposes nitwits that will never have a chance to understand a fraction of the truth I would bestow upon them.

So if these players want to sit, stand, stay in the locker room, take a shit, get a blow job or whatever the fuck they want to do during the national anthem, it's OK with me. If people want to lose their shit over them doing that, that's OK too. Just quit talking about it

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:48 am

I doubt people are going to quit talking about it any time soon
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:32 am

"We killed Indians, we fucked Indians, we learned how to live off this land"

Country boy can survive!
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:36 am

"But I stand for the national anthem at every game. I put my hand on my heart and recite the pledge of allegiance each Monday at my son's Cub Scouts meeting. Why? Because it's fucking easier than taking a stand over something that I really don't even care that much about and having to explain it to dozens or even hundreds of people"

I took communion at my cousin's son's baptism for the same reason. Just didn't feel like sitting there while everybody else went up front to take communion. Also I thought it was funny and subversive in an absurd sort of way to take communion as an atheist. Plus I just wanted to eat the wafer and drink the grape juice, which is by far the main reason I took communion growing up...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:19 am

I don't personally care if players stand, kneel, jump, crouch, or do the worm to an Otis Day and the Knight's tune, but Kaep isn't really being blackballed for kneeling. His contract dollar expectations are high and his QBR the last two seasons have been in the cellar. Now that kneeling is de rigueur, Kaep would be signed if that were the only issue.

Let Cam kneel as a free agent wearing a Che shirt and handing out copies of the "Communist Manifesto" and he's still signed.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am

Che and Marx would be proud of the way NFL players have maximized the value of their labor. Sports labor unions are have fulfilled Marx's and Che's ideas beyond their wildest imaginings. Most other forms of labor, alas, still have a ways to go...

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 am

AlabamAlum wrote:I don't personally care if players stand, kneel, jump, crouch, or do the worm to an Otis Day and the Knight's tune, but Kaep isn't really being blackballed for kneeling. His contract dollar expectations are high and his QBR the last two seasons have been in the cellar. Now that kneeling is de rigueur, Kaep would be signed if that were the only issue.

Let Cam kneel as a free agent wearing a Che shirt and handing out copies of the "Communist Manifesto" and he's still signed.
He's not good enough to overcome the distraction of his social activism but he's still good enough to be a backup if he were just another player.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:27 am

Saint wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:I don't personally care if players stand, kneel, jump, crouch, or do the worm to an Otis Day and the Knight's tune, but Kaep isn't really being blackballed for kneeling. His contract dollar expectations are high and his QBR the last two seasons have been in the cellar. Now that kneeling is de rigueur, Kaep would be signed if that were the only issue.

He's not good enough to overcome the distraction of his social activism but he's still good enough to be a backup if he were just another player.
The problem is he doesn't want a back-up role and he certainly doesn't want back-up dollars. Reportedly, his agents rebuffed Seahawks' overtures at signing a one-year deal for a bit less than a million. He was paid close to $40 million with the 49ers. He's not desperate.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:41 am

sounds like he doesn't want to kneel during the games , just before

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 pm

I see what you did there.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:15 pm

not so fast elephant man

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2016

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:38 pm

It is now clear. The days when the SEC had five teams in the top ten are over. SEC has three decent teams. Bama is #1 in the conference, and probably the country. UGA is a fairly close second. Auburn is a respectable, but somewhat distant, third.

After that, the SEC is a series of dumpster fires, with LSU and Tennessee as the prime accelerants.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 am

New polls show Americans still don't like kneeing during the national anthem:
"Do you approve or disapprove of football players protesting by kneeling during the national anthem?" Fifty-two percent said they strongly or somewhat disapprove, while 38 percent said they strongly or somewhat approve, and nine percent said they haven't heard enough to say.

ESPN: Asked if they approve or disapprove of the recent NFL player protests, 51 percent said they either somewhat or strongly disapprove, compared to 39 percent who did approve.

Among avid NFL fans, 48 percent said their interest is not impacted, but 31 percent said they were less interested in the league because of the protests (19 percent said they were more interested).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2085 ... nal-anthem
CNN: "Do you think athletes who protest by kneeling during the national anthem are doing the right thing or the wrong thing to express their political opinion? Forty-nine percent said the wrong thing, 43 percent said the right thing, and eight percent didn't know.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2017/image ... .trump.pdf
Fox: "In general, do you think kneeling during the national anthem is an appropriate — or inappropriate — form of protest?" Fifty-five percent said inappropriate, while 41 percent said appropriate, and five percent didn't know.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interac ... -2017.html
I wonder if this will cause the NFL to reconsider their current policy of thoroughly pissing off half their customers.

ESPN has proven they are perfectly happy pissing off half their customers, even to the point of losing half their profits, so I don't expect any introspection from them. In fact, I anticipate a series of ESPN documentaries entitled, "Why are half of NFL fans racists, KKK members and Nazi's?"
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:43 am

One day, maybe Carolina will beat A&M in our all-important, heated rivalry showdown.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:32 pm

aTm wrote:One day, maybe Carolina will beat A&M in our all-important, heated rivalry showdown.

I read the forum "Cocky Talk" mainly because the name is absurd but its kind of fun watching them meltdown every week

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:54 pm

"Cocky Talk" rhymes with "Rocky Top," although the latter has little to be cocky about these days.