Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by crotch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm

eCat wrote:a little drama surrounding UK basketball this week.

Kentucky has a 5 star, actually two 5 stars that are hurt and haven't played this year. One is out for the year, the other has been medically cleared for awhile.

When asked why he wasn't playing Cal gave a Un-Calipariesque response saying he doesn't even pay attention to the kids, doesn't know who he is and won't care until the kid comes to him and says he is ready to play.

So naturally UK fans having nothing else to obsess about now have been digging around. It would seem this kid has, along with his handlers, decided that playing at this point in the year might hurt his draft stock and has been pushing back against being thrown into the mix of the team and appearing not as capable as other 5 stars. It came to a head before the A&M game where Cal had a meeting with him and it "ended badly" according to a board insider.

This is what the one and done has done to college basketball.

Also Zion Williamson is going to announce Saturday at 6pm. It would appear Clemson basketball is about to become relevant next year
The kid is getting a free education, meals, perks etc. and refuses to play. Kick him out of the Wildcat lodge if he's unwilling to suit up and make him pay for his food and education like the rest of the kids at UK.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm

"This is what the one and done has done to college basketball."

I think you meant to say this is what one and done has done to UK basketball...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm

true

although Duke is going thru some pains of it own
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:24 pm

So sad. Cal needs to nut up and put him out there if he's gonna pull that spoiled baby shit.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 am

It would seem the kid caved to the external pressure and determined he was ready to play last night. He got 14 minutes in the game

and we gave up a 14 point lead to South Carolina.

that is misleading - we lost because our backcourt decided to have an NBA tryout , nothing this kid really did.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 am

kinda what trey young tried to do with us (OU's wonderboy). throwing up 35 foot shots at least twice 2-10 from 3 point land and 14 turnovers--we won by 18

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am

eCat wrote:It would seem the kid caved to the external pressure and determined he was ready to play last night. He got 14 minutes in the game

and we gave up a 14 point lead to South Carolina.

that is misleading - we lost because our backcourt decided to have an NBA tryout , nothing this kid really did.
Maybe he knew what he was doing by not playing...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm

One thing all 4 recruiting guys agreed on....UNC a bigger player for Zion than many previously believed. Reminds me of Andrew Wiggins when Kansas seemed to come from nowhere in last 2 days

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 pm

wow...Duke

shit

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:54 pm

rough night to be a UK fan

the natives are restless.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:27 am

And just like that, Zion has gone from potentially most loved recruit in Carolina history to most hated...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:30 am

The really bad part of this is, I don't think Zion is necessarily a OAD. I think he'll be very good and maybe even a stud in college, but not sure if what he does is going to translate to the NBA, at least not after one year in college and, even if there is some interest, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not considered a lottery pick. But of course, now that he's going to Duke, he's probably going to be the next Larry Johnson...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 am

If he's not a lottery pick, it will be a zionist conspiracy.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am

K is eating everybody's lunch in recruiting right now. He's the experience these top tier kids want before going to the NBA. If Cal can't get these kids now, what is he going to do at Kentucky? He's not set up to have 4-year guys like Roy is at UNC.

I still say Williamson is more style than substance. He's definitely not Marvin Bagley

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:21 pm

rumor is Cal is going to go after a recruiting guy - and hopefully dump barbee in the process. When Cal lost Orlando Antigua, his recruiting fell off.

Zion was the catalyst but Cal passing on Trae Young because he wasn't a good fit for the program has them demanding Cal make some changes.

Zion not coming to UK is understandable. Every school he considered besides UK was within 100 miles of his home.

So this is as big of a hit to UNC as it is UK.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:24 pm

here is what I thought about Zion in April

http://goatpen.net/forums/viewtopic.php ... on#p154533

that hasn't changed much on my part. While I admit to wanting him, It became more out of our choice was him or a 5 star project, whatever the hell that means and now we get neither for a hapless frontcourt next year. I still think he's too one dimensional and that won't improve at Duke.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm

hedge wrote: I don't think Zion is necessarily a OAD.
He would be at Kentucky under Cal.. Cal's ego would take a hit if Zion came to UK and decided to stay around for graduation. Hedge, even you would be an OAD if you inked for Cal and Kentucky.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:49 pm

We wish hedge was DOA...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:37 pm

The fact that he chose Duke is more of a hit to UNC than the fact that he didn't come to UNC. Nobody was really counting on it pretty much the whole time until just recently when he came for a visit and then everybody was thinking maybe we were at least in the mix. But I was never counting on him coming to Carolina. Hate that K got him, though, esp. considering that most of the so-called gurus over at IC were all saying Clemson, then a smaller cadre saying UK and of course the crazy "everything is going to go our way" Carolina fans who just wanted him so badly they convinced themselves that we were the favorites, but nobody pays any attention to those guys. It was almost unanimous that he wasn't going to Duke, and that was backed up by simple reason that there are already two top 10 guys at his position committed. Going to be a bit of a logjam, but I'm sure K will manage...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm sure most potential OAD's are scared off by the fact that Roy pretty adamantly continues to give his upperclassmen liberal minutes. I can't help but think Zion saw how few minutes Jalek Felton has gotten this year and then saw everybody we'll have coming back next year (only Joel Berry and Pinson graduate), plus we've got Zion's buddy Nassir Little coming in next year who figures to fit into the same slot. Can't really complain with the results that Roy has produced doing it his way, though...