hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by hedge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 am

"I don't want Cal to recruit 4 year guys that suck"

That's why you have to coach them. Joel Berry, Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige, etc, etc, they weren't lighting it up as freshmen or sophomores, but they were learning the system and getting better and better. By the time they were juniors and seniors, they were great. I don't know that UK fans have the patience to wait for that, though. Also a little worried that, now that the NCAA cloud is off of us, will Roy start taking a bunch of OAD's and mess up the chemistry. Well, won't have to worry about it for awhile, we've got 3 freshmen bigs that look promising but are definitely going to take a year or two to really develop, but I think all 3 of them are going to be studs. I'm thinking we have a decent shot at Zion Williamson but not even sure how he would fit in next year, but if he wants to come you've got to take him. We'll see...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am

Hell, we've got a freshman this year, Andrew Platek, guy looks like he'd struggle at a DII school, but he has impressed people who have seen him and will probably end up being a beloved 4 year player for us. Same with the freshmen post guys...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am

If UNC lands Zion, Cal is going to start feeling some heat from the fans.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 am

hedge wrote:"I don't want Cal to recruit 4 year guys that suck"

That's why you have to coach them. Joel Berry, Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige, etc, etc, they weren't lighting it up as freshmen or sophomores, but they were learning the system and getting better and better. By the time they were juniors and seniors, they were great.
The difference here is Cal pushes em out after their freshman year convincing them they're a first round pick. ( to satisfy his huge ego I may add ) Roy convinces them to stay around for 3 or 4 years and builds a team to compete for the national championship. I said it 2 years ago and I'll say it again... Calipari will NEVER win another national championship at Kentucky. Fans need to understand this. I'm finished with Calipari. Feel free to bash.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am

I still like Cal as coach

but he hasn't come close to building the same kind of team he had in 2012 and it almost seems as if we're are moving further away from that.

Now Coach K comes in and manages to sell these kids on Duke being a better option for one and done's than UK.

Its time for him to evolve his approach.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 am

"but he hasn't come close to building the same kind of team he had in 2012"

In fairness, there hasn't been another player like Anthony Davis since 2012. Granted, ya'll should've won it all with Cousins and Wall, but shit happens...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am

hedge wrote:"but he hasn't come close to building the same kind of team he had in 2012"

In fairness, there hasn't been another player like Anthony Davis since 2012. Granted, ya'll should've won it all with Cousins and Wall, but shit happens...
Davis was one of a kind but it was Darius Miller, Doron Lamb, Terence Jones- returning players that were talented that anchored that team

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Putting k*rzythead's hypocrisy aside from begrudging any of his players turning pro early, to embracing Calipari's one-and-done model, there's a gray area that no one ever discusses regarding dook*. R.J. Barrett is now the 4th "early graduate" that they have managed to reclassify at the last minute to gain immediate collegiate eligibility. First, it was the overrated Alex Murphy. Then came an emergency point guard (Derryck Thornton) that saved their asses in 2016. But now, k*dolf has taken it to another level in back to back years. He's circumvented the system to "reclassify" the number one high school player in the country in consecutive years (Bagley and now Barrett), without anyone as much as raising an eyebrow. If any other coach/school tried to pull this shit, there would be Holy Hell to pay.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:53 pm

especially considering the supposed standards at Duke in terms of academics

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 pm

we won by 45 over Americus

I will watch ku ky jelly tomorrow though

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:52 pm

eCat wrote:I still like Cal as coach

but he hasn't come close to building the same kind of team he had in 2012 and it almost seems as if we're are moving further away from that.

Now Coach K comes in and manages to sell these kids on Duke being a better option for one and done's than UK.

Its time for him to evolve his approach.
Duke offers a better free education if things don't work out in the NBA.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm

hedge wrote:"I don't want Cal to recruit 4 year guys that suck"

That's why you have to coach them. Joel Berry, Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige, etc, etc, they weren't lighting it up as freshmen or sophomores, but they were learning the system and getting better and better. By the time they were juniors and seniors, they were great. I don't know that UK fans have the patience to wait for that, though. Also a little worried that, now that the NCAA cloud is off of us, will Roy start taking a bunch of OAD's and mess up the chemistry. Well, won't have to worry about it for awhile, we've got 3 freshmen bigs that look promising but are definitely going to take a year or two to really develop, but I think all 3 of them are going to be studs. I'm thinking we have a decent shot at Zion Williamson but not even sure how he would fit in next year, but if he wants to come you've got to take him. We'll see...
Marcus Paige's best individual season was his sophomore year. Good God. He came out of nowhere to become an elite scorer.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:12 pm

eCat wrote:
hedge wrote:"but he hasn't come close to building the same kind of team he had in 2012"

Davis was one of a kind but it was Darius Miller, Doron Lamb, Terence Jones- returning players that were talented that anchored that team
The 2015 team should have won, but Dook received another welfare title.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Bullshit. They take their classes at Durham Tech and NC Central as part of a inter-school bullshit deal where students can take classes at the other schools.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm getting a sense that Williamson may go to UNC. Coby White told me last week they weren't done signing people. I should have asked if he meant Williamson but I didn't. I was ready to leave the signing ceremony and didn't care enough to ask further.Then later I saw the photo of Nassir LIttle with Williamson. It's getting to the point that Duke can't take every No. 1 recruit in a given year and now the bloom is back on UNC's rose a little, maybe they will get one of those big fish. I don't keep up with recruiting that much and had never heard of Little but I think everyone has heard of Williamson.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

The Anti k* wrote:Putting k*rzythead's hypocrisy aside from begrudging any of his players turning pro early, to embracing Calipari's one-and-done model, there's a gray area that no one ever discusses regarding dook*. R.J. Barrett is now the 4th "early graduate" that they have managed to reclassify at the last minute to gain immediate collegiate eligibility. First, it was the overrated Alex Murphy. Then came an emergency point guard (Derryck Thornton) that saved their asses in 2016. But now, k*dolf has taken it to another level in back to back years. He's circumvented the system to "reclassify" the number one high school player in the country in consecutive years (Bagley and now Barrett), without anyone as much as raising an eyebrow. If any other coach/school tried to pull this shit, there would be Holy Hell to pay.

Don't forget Jason Williams graduating in 3 years.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 pm

Some of these early graduates are probably just going back to their original class. In NC private schools (where all the best talent goes now), you can reclassify, ie, spend an extra year in high school. If you do it as a 9th grader, you're not really going to be up to date with your class but some kids do it as juniors and become sophomores again. In that case, coming out "early" really isn't.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Saint wrote:I'm getting a sense that Williamson may go to UNC. Coby White told me last week they weren't done signing people. I should have asked if he meant Williamson but I didn't. I was ready to leave the signing ceremony and didn't care enough to ask further.Then later I saw the photo of Nassir LIttle with Williamson. It's getting to the point that Duke can't take every No. 1 recruit in a given year and now the bloom is back on UNC's rose a little, maybe they will get one of those big fish. I don't keep up with recruiting that much and had never heard of Little but I think everyone has heard of Williamson.
How did Greenfield recruit White out of Goldsboro right from under Wayne Country Day?

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 am

I'm pretty sure they didn't have to recruit him. You might as well ask why he's going to UNC instead of State.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 am

Is White going to live up to the local hyperbole?