Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 am

hedge wrote:"They also reported no school with a first-round pick over the last three years should sleep easy each night."

I guess that means UNC is in the clear. But, given that wording, I can't imagine the same can be said for UK fans...
One thing that Pat Forde and Pete Thamel share is their hatred for UK. Thamel tried to find dirt on Bledsoe and Noel, came up empty both times.

I do remember the talk about Roy Williams not being able to talk to John Wall even though Wall grew up a UNC fan.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am

Its going to boil down to this I believe - and Pitino set the standard for it.

Is there hard evidence of a coach of a team arranging or directing payments to be made from a shoe company to a player. If so, hammer drop.

If the kid was paid to go to a school but no hard evidence of the school, the player is ineligible and wins forfeited. Assuming this information is right, then going back 3 years won't mean much to UK, but is going to sting Villanova and Duke. And of course, the media darling UNC.

Because the NCAA just hammered UL for having ineligible players win a national championship, there is no way to squirm out of that.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am

Not only have we only produced 3 first round picks (one mid- and two very late) in the past 3 years, currently our best player statistically was a walk-on his freshman year. So not only are we not paying our players, we're not even offering them scholarships...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 am

and the NCAA can't cherry pick with some horseshit interpretation of the rules because they aren't in charge of the investigation.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 am

"If the kid was paid to go to a school but no hard evidence of the school, the player is ineligible and wins forfeited. Assuming this information is right, then going back 3 years won't mean much to UK, but is going to sting Villanova and Duke. And of course, the media darling UNC."

I can't imagine anybody gambling on Luke Maye, Kenny Williams, Theo Pinson, coming out of high school in hopes of a long NBA career complete with shoe contracts, etc. Maybe Joel Berry, but at this point he doesn't even project as even getting drafted at all. Cam Walker is Pittsburgh's problem. I really don't see Justin Jackson as the kind of kid who would be involved in that sort of under the table deal either. I guess somebody might've slipped Tony Bradley some money, but I doubt it...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:57 am

after that horseshit UNC got away with in regards to 2 decades of systemic cheating, I wouldn't be surprised if they were never mentioned.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Actually, we will probably be mentioned as the one school that followed the rules, did it the right way, and still won. Your head will explode if that happens...

"I do remember the talk about Roy Williams not being able to talk to John Wall even though Wall grew up a UNC fan."

That fact alone should stand us in good stead...

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm

hedge wrote:Actually, we will probably be mentioned as the one school that followed the rules, did it the right way, and still won.
Heh..... Hedge the comedian. :lol:

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm

yea, its going to be a few decades before anyone ever says that about UNC

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 pm

This could actually end up, hilariously enough, that after years of UK and Duke fans thinking Carolina was going to get slammed, we are now going to be squeaky clean and ya'll both get the death penalty and vacating hundreds of wins and a couple of NC's. Then we'll make a run that will match UCLA's from the late 60's/early 70's and surpass everyone while all ya'll sit on the sidelines grumbling and snapping...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 pm

The above scenario would be the ultimate justice for what the NCAA put us thru over the past 6 or 7 years...

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm

If Auburn cheated in basketball, and I’m pretty sure they did, we haven’t gotten much in return for the bribes paid. Up until this year, we’ve sucked for the past 20.

And UNC will never be sanctioned by the NCAA. UNC is the basketball equivalent of Bama football. They transcend the rules that mere mortal programs must obey. The Heels and the Tide are too big to fail. They put the NCAA on probation.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 pm

hedge wrote:This could actually end up, hilariously enough, that after years of UK and Duke fans thinking Carolina was going to get slammed, we are now going to be squeaky clean and ya'll both get the death penalty and vacating hundreds of wins and a couple of NC's. Then we'll make a run that will match UCLA's from the late 60's/early 70's and surpass everyone while all ya'll sit on the sidelines grumbling and snapping...
Wouldn't it be nice to live in Hedge's fantasy world??

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 pm

I think hedge is probably right on this one.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 am

nope.....

The basketball programs at Duke, North Carolina and NC State were all named in evidence presented during discovery in the federal criminal investigation into college basketball, according to a report Friday by Yahoo Sports.

Yahoo obtained "hundreds of pages of documents" that showed federal authorities monitored multiple targets and intercepted more than 4,400 phone calls over 330 days.

"The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules," Yahoo reporter. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues."

Duke and UNC were among a host of universities that potentially gave impermissible benefits and preferential treatment to players and families, Yahoo reported. Specific players were not identified.

*Tony Bradley*

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:12 am

Kentucky - Bam Adebayo, Nerlens Noel

complicating facet to this will be the NCAA’s potential inability to view key documents related to this case, because those details not in the criminal complaints are sealed under protective order. In terms of eligibility, the NCAA and the institution may be prohibited from interviewing people associated with the case because of the parallel criminal cases. (The initial onus to decide is almost always on the school in an eligibility case).

No one is certain how the NCAA enforcement office would potentially handle the cases. The NCAA has been in constant contact with the feds but so far

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am

I guess I shouldn't have said "I doubt it" when I posted "I guess somebody could've slipped Tony Bradley some money". He really is the only guy in the past 3 years (more, really) that I could see that happening with at Carolina. That would suck bad if it's true, b/c we won an NC with Bradley on the team. UK would only have to vacate wins from a season where we beat them in the tourny anyway and a season where they went to the NIT. UK fans are probably hoping those seasons would go away anyway...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 am

Bam took the money and didn't even sign with the agent

guess he has the last laugh all the way around.

Noel was the one everyone thought would be busted. He's had handlers from day 1 and no shortage of people saying they were shady.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 am

But if all this is true, I can't see how John Wall didn't take some caiiiish. Of course, that was another flame-out season for UK. Hopefully Anthony Davis and Gilcrest were on the take. You kinda got to think they were. Hell, considering the deluge of top recruits that UK all of a sudden started getting when they hired Cal, you've got to think the majority of them were getting paid to go to UK. The mere presence of a middle aged, jowly white man can't account for all of it...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:48 am

This is so large, I'm betting the NCAA just requires the players to pay it back.

Where there is evidence of a coach or program directing a shoe company to pay a player, they'll get hammered, but otherwise the NCAA is going to go No Harm, No Foul on this one.