The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

CAT
Sophomore
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: North Carolina Tar Heels

Post by CAT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:40 am

Actually,I was quite pleased to see our team gave as good as it got! Hadn't seen that 'quality' of play since Clint Mathis and Chris Klein were on the team!
I try not to limit my madness to March

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:49 am

its mean but I would have reacted the same way if it was my kid

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

I met Stu at the park one day several years ago, he had his kid out there on the swing, me and Stu were sitting there talking and the kid was leaning back in the swing while going backwards, somehow he flipped out of the swing at the bottom of the motion, face first into the ground, and did a backflip and slammed onto the ground. I thought he might've broken his neck, but when he started squalling, me and Stu cracked up...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:10 am

In 2013, 60 minutes did a story about a lawyer named Eric Conn (apt name) . The guy had teamed up with a crooked judge and was cranking out hundreds of disability claims each year - at one point every person that he either recruited or came to him ended up on government disability - and in the poorest counties of Kentucky/West Virginia it was a boom.

Guy was pulling in several million in fees - up to $6K per client all funded by the government and he gave a kickback to the judge who was making about $14K a month for his share.

Anyways, he gets busted earlier this year by the feds (4 years after the 60 minutes story?) , pleads guilty and goes on the lam while awaiting sentencing. Claims he bought a fake passport and flew out to a country that doesn't extradite to the U.S. - and offered this information voluntarily to the press via email from him. The feds thinks he's lying and is hiding out somewhere close by.

Some of the things he's known for is building a Lincoln memorial statue at his office and commissioning a video with Ralph Stanley, Jessco White and the Obama girl - whoever that was - praising Obama getting elected - describing him as a “superhero without a cape,” which she rhymed with “He learned Spanish off of a tape.”

[youtube]Ljua1P7M9DU[/youtube]
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am

LOL

he also paid a guy a few thousand to do this to reach out to the "urban" community

[youtube]7M0jkkDj55c[/youtube]

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

This guy is the gift that keeps on giving

This is his post indictment commercial

[youtube]zqtL78-H_YI[/youtube]

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:16 pm

ok I may have turned the corner on soccer tonight watching FC Cincinnati play Chicago tonight on ESPN and watching the fans get into it.

30K fans showed up for that game

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 am

30+ years later and soccer is starting to win the war of attrition...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:26 am

The announcers did a good job of keeping me engaged in a 0-0 game 95 minutes into it. It helped they talked up the city all night, trying to sell it as a MLS franchise location

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 am

My daughter was there. So disappointed.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:46 am

She kept texting me updates. I was watching it but fell asleep. Soccer is boring.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 am

I have no interest watching any other games other than Cincinnati home games

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:36 pm

That's about my same interest. I might go if my daughter drags me. I've grown up with soccer in my blood. My brother coached UC for 11 years before he said fuck it and moved to Monterey and opened up a camera shop.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Ralph Stanley died. Is Obama girl Jenn Sterger?

Atlanta has a new MLS team. All their games at GA Tech's stadium (55,000) have been sold out.

Anybody who is a baseball fan, but complains that soccer is boring, is silly.

That is all. Carry on.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm

MLS as a league is pretty salty attendance wise compared to other leagues worldwide. Only Germany, England, Spain, Mexico, China, and Italy have top divisions that draw better (and out of those, only Germany and England draw well across the board and so have much higher averages), and that puts it above the French, Argentine, Brazilian, Dutch, Russian, Scottish, Turkich, etc etc leagues. At this point, if MLS were to drop the reins on competitive balance (where the salary cap is keeping the richer teams from spending except on a handful of star players), Toronto, Seattle, LA Galaxy, NYCFC, and New York Red Bulls would immediately become some of the largest and best clubs in the world either because of their attendance drawing power, marketing power, and or, in the case of the New York teams, ownership groups that are itching to spend and invest in the clubs for marketing purposes. MLS is very conservative in terms of moving to that kind of system for a variety of reasons though.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:36 pm

What reasons?

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:11 pm

The league has a single entity ownership structure, rather than club franchise model, so technically every owner kind of owns the whole league, its a subtle difference, but in practice it means things like players don't have contracts with the individual teams, but their contracts are owned by MLS. I think because of that structure, and the fate of the NASL in the 70's and 80's where teams were driven to bankruptcy by spending to compete with the New York Cosmos, they have tried to hold a very tight hand on the finances of each club rather than letting some owner go sign a bunch of expensive talent and then have team's fold because of it. Also the league is heavily tied into a financial relationship with the United States Soccer Federation, in which MLS shares in a business relationship involving exhibition matches, television revenues, and sponsorship revenues. So one of the goals of the league is to develop American players, something which would likely be hurt somewhat if most roster spots were suddenly used on more highly paid European and South American players as could happen if the teams are allowed to spend indiscriminately. I think there is also the perception that the Euro style leagues where there are dominant super powers that compete with only 1 or 2 or 3 other teams, while everyone else has almost no chance wouldn't play well here, and the salary cap is a competitive balance measure.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 am

I agree, but one glaring fact is, at every MLS game the stadium is filled to capacity, we need to build larger stadiums. they built a second divisium stadium in Sacramento and before it was even finished it was totally sold out with season ticket holders. At all games the fans are extremely enthusiastic which makes it a lot of fun to attend any game. The only game that comes close to fan enthusiasm is ice hockey!
I try not to limit my madness to March

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:38 am

Speaking of "ice hockey" (as opposed to what other kinds of hockey?), Atlanta has had two NHL teams - the Flames and the Thrashers. Both folded for lack of attendance.

By selling out all their games, the new soccer team is clearly doing something right where the NHL teams didn't. Maybe a lot more soccer crazy Hispanics have moved in than hockey crazy Minnesotans.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:47 am

It's because it's new. After the initial years, Atlanta fans will go into their typical don't care, mode until the local team makes the playoffs.