Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: North Carolina Tar Heels

Post by eCat » Wed May 31, 2017 9:04 am

Cliff Young’s story is unique. While most athletes achieve success in the prime of their lives – their late teens, 20s and even 30s – Young didn’t gain notoriety until his early 60s

Cliff grew up on a 2,000 acre sheep farm in Australia with about 2,000 sheep. For you math majors out there that’s an acre per sheep. However, don’t think for one second that he rode around on a fancy 4-wheeler rounding them up. No way. Cliff spent the better part of his growing up years literally “running” down the sheep on foot.

In 1983, at 61 years old, Cliff Young entered the Westfield Sydney to Melbourne Ultra-marathon, a 544-mile race from Sydney to Melbourne. These races normally take days to finish. Try running a normal marathon 20 times in a row and then come talk Cliff Young about how awesome you are. He’ll just say “Crikey” and then laugh in your face. Yeah, and don’t think for one moment that this old codger would be satisfied with just finishing this ultra-marathon – he’s in it to win it.

After months of preparation, all the other runners showed up in their fancy running gear, and top-of-the-line running shoes. Within this group of runners stood one man that didn’t fit the mold of the other 150 competitors. He wasn’t swagged out with an Adidas track suit and the newest Nikes.

No…Cliff Young showed up to the race wearing a pair of overalls and Wellington boots, a staple of hunting and outdoor wear for the British aristocracy in the early 19th century.

Folks thought that this was nothing more than a publicity stunt gone wrong. The officials at the race almost didn’t let Cliff compete because Young didn’t have any sponsors. They told him he was crazy and could never even finish. Cliff explained:

“Sometimes I would have to run those sheep for two or three days. It took a long time, but I’d catch them. I believe I can run this race; it’s only two more days. Five days. I’ve run sheep for three”

They eventually let Cliff run. As the race begun, the runners left Cliff sucking on their dust. Spectators even smirked because he didn’t even run properly. He appeared to run leisurely, shuffling like an amateur. This style of running became known as the “Young Shuffle.”

All the professional runners trained to run 18 hours a day and sleep for the remaining six. Cliff had his own agenda. He ran all through the night. As the morning of the second day came, everyone was surprised. Not only was Cliff still in the race, but he had continued to jog through the night. With no formal training or coaching, he never knew that runners rested in ultra marathons. He just assumed they ran the entire race until it finished.

As the days passed, Cliff crept closer to the world class runners. By the fifth and final night of the race, he had surpassed all the other athletes. He was the first competitor to cross the finish line with a record-setting time: five days, 15-hours and four minutes.

Cliff received $10,000 dollars for winning the race, but didn’t keep a cent for himself. He gave the five other runners who finished $2,000 each, which further endeared him to all of Australia.

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed May 31, 2017 9:18 am

Forrest Gump

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:42 am

maybe 10 years ago on here or so I remember typing a sentence

something like

So you take Duke, North Carolina, and Kentucky

and someone gave me shit for putting a comma after North Carolina

That was what I was taught in elementary school and I've carried it with me since.

After that I was convinced I was wrong about it - (although it was so ingrained in me I never stopped)

tuns out that is called the Oxford comma

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:05 am

"Unless you’re writing for a particular publication or drafting an essay for school, whether or not you use the Oxford comma is generally up to you. However, omitting it can sometimes cause some strange misunderstandings.

I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.

Without the Oxford comma, the sentence above could be interpreted as stating that you love your parents, and your parents are Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty. Here’s the same sentence with the Oxford comma:

I love my parents, Lady Gaga, and Humpty Dumpty.

Those who oppose the Oxford comma argue that rephrasing an already unclear sentence can solve the same problems that using the Oxford comma does. For example:

I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.

could be rewritten as:

I love Lady Gaga, Humpty Dumpty and my parents."
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:06 am

The main takeaway, though, is never sass eCat about anything. Somebody gave you shit about a comma 10 years ago and you're still nursing a thirst for revenge? Gotdamn...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 am

you damn skippy

I remember who did it too but I'm not saying

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:33 pm

[youtube]P_i1xk07o4g[/youtube]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:47 pm

LOL

slow writing day for Vampire Weekend

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 pm

What about the Oxford semi-colon?

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Anyone who goes to Oxford needs to have a full colon!
I try not to limit my madness to March

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Just popped in to say hello Darlings, and is anyone following the World Cup Eliminations (Yeah England!) if so, on what thread?

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:00 pm

"Full Colon" > "World Cup Eliminations." An accident? I think not.

Welcome, CAT.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 pm

who is Le Tigre?

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:15 am

I'm just an old broken down deplorable.

Did you see the US tied Mexico and snuck through the back door into the World Cup? Yes, we're bad but we're getting better.

I always get a good laugh when the US - a country with 330 million people - loses to Lichtenstein or the Seychelles or Vatican City in world competition.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:07 am

True, but no country out-idiots the US, as you amply prove again and again...

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 am

awwww Hedge--don't put yourself down like that! I have to do the USA/England bit. England beat Scotland in a qualifier but lost 3-2 to France in a friendly! Very good game USA and Mexico. US played as dirty as Mexico!
Professor Le Tigre, USA is not that bad any more! Stadiums are always sold out unlike 'other' games.

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 am

I just want to say I hope you are all well, I have missed you! I realised your babies are all big kids now, time really does fly. I'll see if anyone is following the World Cup eliminations,.

ECat it's an Anniversary! Take your gorgeous wife to the City of Love--Paris, then a boat trip to Normandy or a trip through the Loire Valley it's gorgeous! I was home in October and went to Paris to see friends, love that city--My London is being hit badly but we will stand tall!

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 am

Professor Tiger wrote:I'm just an old broken down deplorable.

Did you see the US tied Mexico and snuck through the back door into the World Cup? Yes, we're bad but we're getting better.

I always get a good laugh when the US - a country with 330 million people - loses to Lichtenstein or the Seychelles or Vatican City in world competition.
Maybe most here who used to talk soccer are gone, but that doesnt mean there is no one here who can see that you dont have a clue about what youre talking about.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:48 am

Being able to talk soccer is neither a necessary nor sufficient reason to qualify anyone to recognize that...

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:58 pm

CAT wrote:England beat Scotland in a qualifier but lost 3-2 to France...US played as dirty as Mexico]
England beating Scotland is no great accomplishment.

Fuck off. We weren't nearly as dirty as those fuck faces.

Welcome back!
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.