hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: North Carolina Tar Heels

Post by hedge » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 am

I do...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am

Bullshit

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:20 pm

The first thing I did every morning for well over a year was take a shot of heroin. Before I brushed my teeth, before I took a piss. Of course, that's only when I actually got some sleep at night, which was rare. It's nothing to be proud of, but I do know something about addiction...

Saint
All-American
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:21 am

I smoked crack for 7 years, fuckhead.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 am

I know, I witnessed many of them...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 am

Ok.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:01 am

When you hit 35 , 40 years old whatever it is, you realize you can't do the things you did when you were 20, but it doesn't really bother you because you can still pretty much do whatever you want, but now at 51, I have to admit that I can't even do the things I could do at 40.

I can't get my wife to understand that. Years of carrying extra weight and a hold my beer moment on a motorcycle has my knees gone, so I can't run.

When you're 20, you can get on a bicycle and ride, and unless you're really into the sport, you never really thought about it. you just did it.

So as an alternative to running, I've started bike riding - and that has been a long process of discovery for me. First we had this old Huffy bike that probably weighed like 60 pounds and had no ergonomics. It was only after I rented a high end Trek that I realized that bike quality, like anything else makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of the your ride. So we tossed the $100 Huffy's we bought when we were in our early 30's. I ended up with a yard sale GT Agressor and my wife got a Trek 830 off a college kid. But that wasn't enough, we learned that the mechanics play a huge role so we had a bike shop go over these bikes and adjust them. New cables, pads, whatever

After a few miles, no matter what however my hands would go numb so I did some research and found that riding position was the likely culprit, so over the course of several rides, I upgraded the grips to some specialized things that support your palms, got a 100mm riser bar, an adjustable seat to move me further back and a gel seat cover. Then I buy the bike shorts with the butt pads.

Essentially due to my age, I've turned it into the bicycle equivalent of an orthopedic shoe. Now I'm up to riding about 8 miles a day and its actually enjoyable. I'll do it as long as the weather holds.

But back to my late 40ish wife who yet to hit the age wall, she just doesn't understand why I don't ride balls out until I'm covered in sweat with a heart rate of 180bpm.

i'm like woman, there are only so many beats left at this point. This is the bike equivalent of a stroll, not jogging.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 am

"When you hit 35 , 40 years old whatever it is, you realize you can't do the things you did when you were 20, but it doesn't really bother you because you can still pretty much do whatever you want, but now at 51, I have to admit that I can't even do the things I could do at 40."

You can still sling a fallen branch over your shoulder, though, and show the boy who's boss...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:08 am

As far as biking, you should try some arm rests. You obviously have to bend way over to rest your forearms onto the pads, but it's comfortable. You can also rest your hands on the pads when you go back to an upright position...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 am

I considered that but I prefer the more upright position and those riser bars seem to have made a huge difference.

We are lucky here in our little town - we have a 72 mile bike trail that starts (or ends) here and its a paved former railroad track that goes all the way to Xenia, OH going thru communities. About every 10 miles or so you'll hit a convenience store or a restaurant. I should have been taking advantage of it long ago.

The only downside is the "professional" riders who are complete dicks to anyone who is a casual rider.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 am

There are many dedicated bike paths where I live and I go out on weekends. I'm 50, but still use the Huffy. It doesn't bother me that everybody whizzes by me. I also can't get into the bike gear. I don't like the helmet and I don't like tight clothes so I just wear my t-shirt, shorts, and ball cap.

I don't have any knee or leg issues and I want to keep it that way. All the guys I know that are my age and are big runners or involved in those stupid F3 groups, all have knee and leg issues. I'm healthier than they are while exercising less.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 am

hedge wrote:"When you hit 35 , 40 years old whatever it is, you realize you can't do the things you did when you were 20, but it doesn't really bother you because you can still pretty much do whatever you want, but now at 51, I have to admit that I can't even do the things I could do at 40."

You can still sling a fallen branch over your shoulder, though, and show the boy who's boss...

true, but I'm not sure I could walk 10 feet with it now.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:59 am

I did the whole bike thing a few years ago, bought a nice one off of craigslist and did some riding out in the country around here. It's good exercise. I'm like sardis, not really into all the gear and clothing, but the gel seat is the key and the padded pants make a difference too. I bought the tighties with the padded seat but wear looser shorts over them and just a t-shirt on top. I do like the arm bar attachment, it was a little awkward at first, but I was getting the numb hands like you mentioned and leaning over onto the arm bars every few miles alleviates that...

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:49 pm

I rode a bike for 8 years in the Bay Area. Just started riding one to work a week or 2 ago. It's only 3/4 mile from my house but it feels good to be back on 2 wheels. I will soon be cutting in front of cars and riding between them at lights, jumping curbs and angrily brandishing my lock at motorists who I feel have wronged me, just like I did in my late 20s/early 30s.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Stu will be dead in a few months.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 am

"Balls to the wall" comes from the elevator industry.
Let 'er Blow!

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 am

I worked for the Otis Elevator company at one time in my career. Had to leave, to many ups and downs............
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:44 am

No way I'm getting on an elevator with you...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 am

I've only been in one earthquake and it was minor, just like 10 seconds of shaking.

This video of a school in Mexico, at least to me , is pretty eye opening. Not the standard building falling down or wine bottles falling on the floor

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Elevator jokes, funny. Then e brings it to a crashing halt.