Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:27 pm

I can't believe you're this stupid, but actually, yes I can. The article says that 3% of the population owns half the guns. In other words, there are a small number of gun owners who have some kind of fetish or else they are hoarders or who knows what...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Most gun owners own 2 or 3 guns (many probably only own one), but a small percentage do obviously own 30 or more guns...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 pm

for the record, I don't own any guns.

I have sold all mine at gun shows over the years to people with valid state licenses.

so eCat - no guns.

you read that NSA?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Attention FBI, DOJ, BATF: I don't own any guns either. Never have. Guns are racist, unsustainable for the environment, and indicate toxic masculinity. I can't stand the things. They are icky.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 pm

I've never owned a gun and likely never will. Feel much safer without one in the house...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:59 pm

aTm wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:This kid publically said what he planned to do and was reported to the FBI 5 months ago. Damn.
"You can't expect the FBI to have someone follow up on every YouTube comment." is basically the general response to that. Because I guess confiscating every gun would be the easier, cheaper, sensible alternative than doing that.
Supposedly they did follow up. Met with the guy who called it in at his office. They apparently dropped it after that.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 pm

hedge wrote:I've never owned a gun and likely never will. Feel much safer without one in the house...
I own guns. I have never felt unsafe because of my guns.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm

eCat wrote:for the record, I don't own any guns.

I have sold all mine at gun shows over the years to people with valid state licenses.

so eCat - no guns.

you read that NSA?

Er....Yes, that is what I meant, too. I do not own guns.
— Abraham Lincoln

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:08 pm

eCat wrote:I don't have an affinity for an AR-15, its just this logic is a knee jerk reaction. You're not serious about stopping people from being shot by guns, you're serious about a subset of that group and that is stopping school shootings and/or mass shootings.
Incorrect. I've made the case about a age-21 gun-buying restriction before.
At the end of the day people shot by an assualt rifle makes up a very small percentage of all shootings. And to be honest, it shows racial bias, because in the next two days there were be 22 separate shootings in Chicago, and all of them I would bet , will not be by "assault rifle"
Again, I'm for an under-age-21 purchase ban.

So if we want to narrow this down to a specific act - we want to stop school shootings - well now the solution is more straight forward and its not to ban anyone under the age of 21 from buying an assault rifle.
I don't want to narrow this down to a specific act. I just don't want 19 year olds buying guns. They already can't get a concealed carry permit til they're 21. Can't buy alcohol. Can't buy legal weed. Can't engage in most forms of gambling. Can't adopt a kid etc
I mean we made the decision that we didn't want guns on planes , and we accomplished that without banning guns. Still we have 3,000 people die from terrorists taking over planes with box cutters, but that's another discussion.
(?)Nobodies talking about banning guns. But since you brought it up, commercial airline pilots have to be age 21. Are you noticing a theme?
so you can say its a reasonable question to ask, but its really not, its shows a bias toward protecting suburban white kid by focusing on the gun and not the solution.
That pimple-faced loser can't buy a beer but he can buy a dangerous firearm. Yes, it is a reasonable question to ask why that is.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 36a244bf5c

Straightforward assessment of why the legal buying age should be 21. The amount of teenage gun violence and suicide is staggering.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm in favor of it, but they can just as easily get it from their dad's or a friend's cabinet. There needs to be a manslaughter charge if a killer uses your gun.

Back to the math. 3% of the population is about 10M. Half of the guns is about 150M. Those 10M own on average 15 guns. The rest own a few or none. Seems about right to me.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I don't want to narrow this down to a specific act. I just don't want 19 year olds buying guns. They already can't get a concealed carry permit til they're 21. Can't buy alcohol. Can't buy legal weed. Can't engage in most forms of gambling. Can't adopt a kid etc
but they can kill radical Islamic Terrorist with an M-60 machine gun. We don't trust their judgement in society but we're fine with them killing for our country.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm

sardis wrote:I'm in favor of it, but they can just as easily get it from their dad's or a friend's cabinet. There needs to be a manslaughter charge if a killer uses your gun.

Back to the math. 3% of the population is about 10M. Half of the guns is about 150M. Those 10M own on average 15 guns. The rest own a few or none. Seems about right to me.

absolutely, anyone that gives a kid access to a gun unsupervised and the kid commits a violent act should face felony charges.

I used to keep my guns in a safe at all times...all of the guns I used to have.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 pm

eCat wrote:
but they can kill radical Islamic Terrorist with an M-60 machine gun. We don't trust their judgement in society but we're fine with them killing for our country.
https://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/bec ... ining.html Active duty and honorably discharged get a waiver.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm

sardis wrote:I'm in favor of it, but they can just as easily get it from their dad's or a friend's cabinet. There needs to be a manslaughter charge if a killer uses your gun.
I agree about the manslaughter. Even so, the 18-yr-old killer in this case used hid dad's gun, and even though a legal adult the kid isn't emancipated because his parents provide his care and support. Parent's are liable in a multi-million dollar wrongful death suit and are crushed financially. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-footbal ... irlfriend/

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... al-n727221

ftr I posted this a year ago.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm

was reading about the shooter

Him and his younger brother were adopted. Adopted father died 10 years ago, Adopted mother died November 1 of the Flu. The guy is on the spectrum - autistic or close to it, history of warning signs like bad interactions with animals, etc.

Losing his mother in November might have been a catalyst or just not having her around to tell him when his going mental to shape the fuck up.

We have to live in a world where threatening to harm another human being, showing signs of aggressive behavior like hurting animals, all these red flags have to be addressed in a meaningful way.

School shootings weren't an issue 30 years ago. There were kids who had hunting rifles in their trucks at my school and no one thought anything about it. Something in society has changed, what that is I don't know.

I don't think its lack of religion or single parenting - anything like that - killing is pretty basic morality regardless of how you were raised. There has been some influence or factor that has changed - 1995 or so - a switch was flipped.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:00 pm

bluetick wrote:Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... al-n727221

ftr I posted this a year ago.

The rule would have allowed bureaucrats within one of our federal agencies to bar American citizens from exercising a constitutional right — and on the highly questionable grounds that to be incapable of managing one’s finances is, by definition, to be a ‘mental defective.’”

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:31 pm

I had the flu...

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Too bad you're not a statistic.
Let 'er Blow!