Moderator: Jungle Rat

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Stuff I Think About

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Are they legally divorced? You said they were married for 12 days right? C'mon, slap him upside the head for me and tell him to man up. It was 12 days. Maybe he needs to talk to her ex and find out why he split after 12 days. Bitch might be psycho. That would be a better reason than we were drunk and got married and it took two weeks to fix our wrong.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Are they legally divorced? You said they were married for 12 days right? C'mon, slap him upside the head for me and tell him to man up. It was 12 days. Maybe he needs to talk to her ex and find out why he split after 12 days. Bitch might be psycho. That would be a better reason than we were drunk and got married and it took two weeks to fix our wrong.
twelve weeks, yes legally divorced.

her first husband applied for the divorce and had the whole thing wrapped up in one week in Nevada, likity split. She didn't want the divorce but that doesn't matter at all, he wanted out because he realized he didn't really want to BE married.

So now (spiritually) she is screwed.

I have not spoken to husband number one but I see no reason to disbelieve the reason she gave for his wanting to end the marriage. apparently, this young man always got whatever he wanted in life and what he wanted was a divorce, come Hell or highwater.

I only have a few hours to save their engagement. They are meeting me tonight and looking to me for an answer that I can't give. God's Law is God's Law and there is probably a very good reason for Luke 16:18, I just can't see that reason in this case
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 pm

This is what happens when you start letting commoners read the Bible and make decisions and interpretations themselves.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 14, 2012 5:54 pm

So now (spiritually) she is screwed.
Maybe, but it sounds like she is dodging a big bullet in this lifetime, if inadvertently.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 14, 2012 5:55 pm

aTm wrote:This is what happens when you start letting commoners read the Bible and make decisions and interpretations themselves.
How very Catholic of you.

I am literate. I may be a commoner, but I can read Luke. I can't see anyway around this one.

http://westpalmbeachchurchofchrist.com/ ... -okay.html

I think this couple can't be a couple and worst of all, this young lady may never be able to remarry!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Im not a religion guy as you probably can tell. I think the bible was written when drugs were legal and people didn't even realize they were drugs. So my opinion has nothing to do with religion. Its simple. Can he get past this realizing its 2012 and shit happens or will there always be a resentment? If he will always have a resentment than walk. If he truly loves her he can get past this. Even if it means time and counseling. I guess that's the question. Does he really love her to put it the time to work it out. If not. Cut the cord.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm

She'll remarry. You watch

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon May 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Catholics can marry after they've been married and stay in favor with the church. They just say the marriage never existed in the form of an annulment.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Im not a religion guy as you probably can tell. I think the bible was written when drugs were legal and people didn't even realize they were drugs. So my opinion has nothing to do with religion. Its simple. Can he get past this realizing its 2012 and shit happens or will there always be a resentment? If he will always have a resentment than walk. If he truly loves her he can get past this. Even if it means time and counseling. I guess that's the question. Does he really love her to put it the time to work it out. If not. Cut the cord.
I know you are trying to help and believe me rat, I do appreciate the help but the young man is not the problem here. He has gotten past this. He loves her and wants to marry her, but he is afraid that his soul will burn in Hell for all eternity if he does. It is right there in the Bible, he can't marry her. According to man's law, of course he can marry her, but he needs to appeal to a higher authority.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Then might I suggest you point him towards a good shrink. If marrying a divorced girl will make him burn in hell he's going to be in a long line once he gets down there.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon May 14, 2012 6:12 pm

IB,

Several hundred years ago, people were not allowed to read the bible and try and devine its meaning. They're stance then was, "I'll tell you what it says."

It's sorta like how the NCAA decides what an infraction is now.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 14, 2012 6:14 pm

I thought that was $

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm

And BTW, where is Sardis when you need him.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm

She'll remarry. You watch
Of course she will, and it won't be to someone who thinks his life is ruled by what some greek nut wrote a thousand years ago.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Then might I suggest you point him towards a good shrink. If marrying a divorced girl will make him burn in hell he's going to be in a long line once he gets down there.
He didn't write Luke 16:18. Neither did I. Those are God's words not ours, God's Law not ours. And I doubt God was on drugs when he laid down The Law.

Ah well.

Egads! 666 posts.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm

I think God intended for us to do drugs. Why else would he have put them here? Good luck with your Jesus freak. Hope it works out.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:I think God intended for us to do drugs. Why else would he have put them here?
Same reason a nude, ignorant, and immortal Adam and a nude, ignorant, and immortal Eve were allowed to do as they wish in Eden with the exception of eating fruit from the tree of knowledge. He put the tree there and commanded of them not to eat of it. He gave the two of them free will same as He gives it to you and I. We make of that what we will.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Your God person puts an apple tree in the middle of a garden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don't eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting 'Gotcha.' It wouldn't have made any difference if they hadn't eaten it...Because if you're dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won't give up. They'll get you in the end.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Just surfing around, this one looks like a total deal breaker for the boy.

http://misslink.org/chapel/askaminister ... marry.html
AskaMinister wrote:In conclusion:

1. God hates divorce.

2. If a person is put into a position where their husband or wife leaves them, if they really want to serve the Lord and stay true to God, they will have to follow the scriptural instruction to remain unmarried until that spouse dies. Then, and only then will they be free from the law to remarry.

3. The only biblical basis for remarriage is to be reconciled, or again, if the spouse dies, they are free to marry another.

4. And yes, Jesus does speak literally in Luke 16:18.
These are sympathetic (albeit strict/unrelenting) responses, but I still feel terrible about this. I feel worse for the young lady as she is not supposed to ever remarry until her dirvorced spouse's death.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 14, 2012 6:53 pm

what a shitty situation

it sounds like she's cool with it, so if this thing doesnt work out and she gets over it, she'll have no problem remarrying?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?