Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: General Eastern Conference

Post by Bklyn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Technically:

"I haven't said nothing to anybody" is a double negative...thereby meaning he DID say something...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/77789 ... ants-fired
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Oh puuuhllleeeeeeze dear Lord, let the Bobcats get the first pick and sign Van Gundy as our coach...

That's all I'm asking.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 pm

What in the world gave Van Gundy such a huge brain cramp this week? Sure he might not want to coach Orlando, and therefore be instigating his demise, but does he think other teams will line up to sign him after subjecting the Magic to the possibility of falling apart down the stretch and having reduced playoff revenues?

If the Magic exit the playoffs early, and Howard doesn't show up, SVG just ensured that his future is in colour commentary on some local broadcast because he's too annoying for the prime networks.

What coach calls out his best player in such a fashion?

the only logical conclusion that I was able to come to is that Howard is going to demand a trade in the off season which will force a Magic re-build that he wants no part of. Even then, I still think it's a career suicide.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Nah, good coaches (and bad) always keep a job somewhere. SVG just had enough, it seems.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:21 pm

it's a coaching carousel, it's the same names that come up every year for the same positions selected from a pool of the same guys

that's why coaches don't pull stunts like this, because then every fired coach would take a parting shot at his players & management after getting the axe

if you're a coach & your mind is on the long game, you say all the right things when being shown the door, I'm pretty sure that's the rule

SVG basically said fukk it, this dude has had us by the balls for over a year I'm going to get bush league up in here

Interesting decision, by confirming that rumour he broke a cardinal rule and it's going to effect his ability to jump back on the carousel, I'm guessing he'll coach again.. but after a long sabbatical
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:47 pm

i agree more with dot. i totally agree about the coaching carousel but he's put himself on the sidelines for quite awhile imo.... but only as an unpaid observer or fan.

typically the coaches do all the "warm and fuzzy" things as they get axed.... they don't typically create a timebomb which can make the season implode. Maybe the Magic somehow rally and have a long playoff run and all is forgotten but a short playoff ouster will not sit well with ownership.... and pissing off the management will be remembered. Losing playoff revenue will be remembered longer.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Orlando will most likely clean house this summer

the GM has made moves that have all backfired : Rashard Lewis & Gilbert Arenas to be specific

then he had a moment of clarity & let Toronto/Portland have a bidding war for Hedo, then he goes & trades for him
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am

Not sure if Ian is seriously upset or just pulling Fratello's leg.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sportsminute

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 pm

sounded real to me

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:55 pm

If he was genuinely upset... Fratello laughing at him and calling him overly sensitive probably felt like a knife to the groin.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Report: Dwight Howard Won't Play For Van Gundy

Magic center Dwight Howard has called team owner Rich DeVos to tell him that he won't play for coach Stan Van Gundy anymore, WKMG in Orlando is reporting.

Howard missed his sixth straight game with a back injury Wednesday against the Celtics, and Van Gundy has already said that he is preparing for his big man to miss the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Howard is still upset that Van Gundy publicly said this month that Howard asked management to have him fired, sources told WKMG. According to the report, the 86-year-old DeVos took Howard's call in his suite at the Amway Center sometime during Friday's game against the Hawks.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:10 am

Orlando so should have taken that "Bynum, straight up" deal...

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:49 pm

If I'm DeVos my number 1 concern isn't even Dwight/SVG

it's who's the motherfu**kin' rat?!?!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Back off

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Yeah, I saw them. I think they'll have to grow on me...but I think the second one has the most promise for me, stylistically. It has a bit of a throwback feel.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Tue May 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue May 08, 2012 7:58 pm

The real hate will be determined if they get the #1 pick...or if Stern decides to give it to New Orleans. A franchise player can make any coaching choice virtually irrelevant. Ask Vinny Del Negro.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 21, 2012 8:25 pm

The team announced the moves in a statement.

Orlando Magic Chief Executive Officer Alex Martins announced today that Stan Van Gundy has been relieved of his duties as head coach. In addition President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Otis Smith and the organization have mutually agreed to part ways.

"On behalf of the DeVos Family, we sincerely appreciate and thank Otis and Stan for all that they have done on and off the floor for the Orlando Magic,” said Martins. "These are the days you dread in this business, but we feel it's time for new leadership and new voices.

"They both brought die-hard dedication and an unmatched work ethic on a daily basis,” added Martins. “Their success is well documented, as the Orlando Magic has had the fourth best record in the NBA over the last five years, and entering the playoffs this year the third most playoff wins over that period of time. The disappointment of getting eliminated in the first round of the playoffs these past two seasons played a primary role in our decision, as we feel our momentum towards winning a championship has paused. We wish Otis and Stan all the best and we look forward to taking the next step towards winning that championship."

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Whatever happens next year is now on Dwight...

( in honor of today...Chris Wallace's birthday, as well as my wife's...everytime I see Dot's avatar I hear "used to let my tape rock, til my tape popped...")