New York Knicks ...The revival!

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

wilyone
Recruit
College Hoops Affiliation: Pennsylvania

Re: New York Knicks ...The revival!

Post by wilyone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:13 am

Wake me up when the lockout is over.

I'd hoped Stern would have been smarter than to let this happen, on the heels of probably the best and most relevant playoff run in recent history.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I never thought the season would be toast, but the more I read the it seems to be a very strong possibility. We may lose basketball until after regular season NFL.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

wilyone
Recruit

Post by wilyone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

This presumes we're going to be lucky enough to have an NFL season. Damn...it's a long haul from here to college basketball.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 pm

The NFL looks like it will lose a portion of its training camp and maybe a couple preseason games, but from the sounds of it, their labour talks have progressed to the point where they have agreed on the major hurdles and are just dotting some I's and crossing some T's

The NBA is a completely different animal
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:00 pm

as a raptor fan, I need there to be at least a 40-50 game season

Toronto is poised to easily finish with the worst record in astonishing "Tank" fashion

if the year is lost the league will probably come up with some BS egaliatarian lottery format (i.e. team with the worst record averaged over the last 3 years gets most balls)
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Hizzy III » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Texas / OU weekend is now just over three months away. All is not completely lost.

::conjuring up more tornados to sweep over I-35 and I-40 as we speak
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

wilyone
Recruit

Post by wilyone » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Texas - OU? You've gotta remember, I'm a New York guy who went to an Ivy school. Never bothered to settle on a BCS level affiliation, football-wise. I wonder how good Stanford is going to be this year, though.

Kenny-Omo Orunmila
Recruit
College Hoops Affiliation: St. John's

Post by Kenny-Omo Orunmila » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 am

These lockouts are a reminder of the business our entertainment really is.....I will miss it, but life has other venues other than sports entertainment thankfully...I wish you all well...Go Yanks and Mets in the meantime....
The truth is the most important thing in human life.

Kenny-Omo Orunmila
Recruit

Post by Kenny-Omo Orunmila » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Knicks get Chandler....good fit I think....gives us the defense and rebounding in the middle we need....But we need to sign Billups or Baron Davis to the Mid Level Exception...

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... 1MlCAir--Q

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:22 pm

You don't have a MLE. From David Aldridge:

The Knicks, according to the source, offered JJ Barea a two-year deal. By using the amnesty provision on Saturday to waive guard Chauncey Billups and dealing forward Ronny Turiaf to Washington as part of the three-team deal that sent Tyson Chandler to New York, the Knicks technically fell under the cap, and thus lost their ability to use the mid-level exception starting at $5 million. They could use the new “room” exception for teams that are below the tax threshold that starts at $2.5 million.

After waiving Billups, the Knicks clearly need help at the point. Their current starter is second-year guard Toney Douglas, though first-round pick Iman Shumpert could see some time there as well this season. And Barea would be an ideal distributor in Mike D’Antoni‘s high-octane offensive attack.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:52 pm

I thought they signed Bibby today.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:55 am

yes, as reported by ESPN
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:04 am

For teams considering claim on Chauncey Billups, he tells Y!: "A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."

Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think I’ll be OK with (getting claimed). I won’t be OK with this."

Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy." Story soon on Y!

All posted by Woj on twitter. This dude is pissed. Basically told every GM to **** right off until he clears waivers.
wow

the players get their system issues, Chauncey was NY's rep, he still gets paid $14 mill and he cries like a baby

man, fukk the NBA

wash, rinse, repeat

once the hardcap was off the table it guaranteed the status quo

Dwight to LA, CP3 to the Knicks

Billups makes a threat to every GM who dares to use their collectively bargained right to claim him and here we go again

bytch mode behaviour, I sincerely hope Stern & NO claim him to replace Paul

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Just like talking to a player after a particularly tough loss, talking to him right after a tough transaction will cause those types of responses. He may sound different after a few days.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 pm

clippers have officially made a waiver bid for Billups

wilyone
Recruit

Post by wilyone » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 pm

I wonder how much Bibby has left. He looked slow in the Finals this spring, and clearly wasn't a guy you wanted to have on the floor at crunch time. Not a lot of options out there, given the loss of the MLE. Apparently Crawford wants to come back, but not for the $2.5 million exception that's available. They can't afford Barea, either. I think it might be smart to sign Shawne Williams, even if it's just a one year deal. They really do need help at the point.

I like the Chandler deal. Takes a lot of pressure off Stoudemire defensively.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:48 pm

The Chander deal may be enough to get them a Top 4 seed in the Playoffs...depending on how Boston clicks.

Bibby is fine, as long as he is not asked to play too many minutes. Toney Douglas needs someone who can continue to show him how to be a PG (and not sure if that will ever happen), now that Chauncey is gone.

wilyone
Recruit

Post by wilyone » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Man, did last night's game ever look like the third exhibition game of a training camp being held under water. It was bad enough that no one could buy a shot, the front line guys were in foul trouble the whole way, and then they completely fell apart in the fourth quarter.

Mike Bibby is not the answer backing up Douglas. If you look at last night as an extension of how terrible he was in the 2011 playoffs, the only logical conclusion is that he's done. Couldn't even make a wide-open 20 foot jump shot.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Yeah, I gave Bibby too much credit...and facing off against LA's schizophrenic D may not be a needed sight, either. Maybe when Baron comes back things will get better. BIbby is not supposed to be the #2 guy, necessarily.

Kenny-Omo Orunmila
Recruit

Post by Kenny-Omo Orunmila » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:41 pm

All I gotta say is Go KNICKS!!!