Minnesota TimberWolves

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

Simitar
Sophomore

Re: Minnesota TimberWolves

Post by Simitar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Also when your star players asks for the 5 years deal, GIVE IT TO HIM.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Exactly. KAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHN!
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Minny signs AK for 2 years - 20 million

hopefully he gets back to the form he showed before being on the outs with Stern, and he was euroleague MVP but I think this is a knee jerk reaction

I like the deal though, and I like the Humphries deal too

as a fan of team in purgatory it's not the dollar values as much as it's length

If I'm taking a risk I'd much rather overpay on a 2 year deal than pay the going rate over 5 years
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm

which humphries? you think Hump in bklyn is worth 12M? or just relative to some other bad deals?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:54 pm

yes

if you read the holinger quote I posted NJ just used a loophole that wasnt wasnt possible in the previous CBA (Base Year Contracts)

They can make another run at Dwight Howard in December using Hump + Lopez and the slaries will match in order for them to give draft picks & absorb J-Rich & Hedo

I've been making this argument for a while now, it's not the pay.... it's the years

In 2 years if Minny needs to offload Love for assets they can move AK with him, it shortens the window and reduces the risk

If I'm Minny fan I'm not particularly too happy about this deal but the risk has been mitigated by the length of the contract

I'm pretty sure if you polled Brooklyn/Minny fans about their preference they would take overpaying for 2 years over 7-8 mill/year contract over 5 years..... hands down
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:04 pm

i see that logic. I think he's totally overpaid but I also don't have problems with overpaying guys for 2, and maybe 3, years. Thats why I was never fussed with Fields. I honestly dont believe in adding guys "hoping" to make trades because I think the Magic are so pissed off right now that he will go anywhere but brooklyn.

I think they will take the best offer and let the other team deal with the drama

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 pm

If Howard starts the year in Orlando, I put him in Brooklyn by February.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 am

I dont think so. I think the new GM will want to make a statement unless he gets a great return and NJ can't offer that. sending him to Houston for a bounty of young players or to LA for Bynum gets a better return.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 am

Howard says he doesn't want to play in Houston, so I doubt Houston lands him...now, or in February. Everything I've read is Howard will be in LA, BK or DAL by the end of next year. Houston is never discussed seriously. Why would Houston agree to a trade and send all those picks out for a player who will not suit up for them in 2013?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 am

Morey believes that if he trades for Howard he can convince him to extend

it's a risk but in order to compete in today's NBA you need a star, then hopefully that one star can rally other stars and make a superteam, otherwise you're just treading water

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:56 pm

He'll take him for the year because he thinks he can convince him to stay but not as a midseason replacement. At that time, Houston is likely to be so far out of a playoff spot that it wouldn't matter plus it'll be harder to convince him to stay at that point. The exception is if they don't have to take on any of Orlando's other contracts.

Actually, I don't think Dallas is in the mix at all. The problem for Orlando is that to get decent picks, they need a team that is not likely to do well. This means a third team to Lakers or (even the Nets) and if they wait until mid-season, that is a lot harder to do.
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Dallas will have the cap room to get Howard if he becomes a free agent and isn't willing to extend with his current team

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:30 pm

And give up what though? What draft picks do they have that Orlando will want? Young players? How many other contracts can they give? More than what Cleveland can give now or another 3rd team?

Most of the contending teams will need a third team to provide enough for Orlando it seems. But that's harder to do once the season starts.
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm talking about signing him outright next summer when he becomes a free agent

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Yeah, no trade is needed at that point. Dallas worked their cap right, so they had space for a Deron and/or DH12. They got neither right now, but Dwight is in play.

I just don't see Orlando letting it get that far before trading him (so they can at least get something in return) and I don't see any team making a trade for him (at this point) besides LA or Brooklyn (come Winter 2013). With those teams, he is almost guaranteed to sign the extension come Summer. Morey can talk with that irrational confidence about his surety in keeping Dwight if they trade for him, but no way he pulls that trigger and takes along TurkeyGlue or JRich's anchor of contracts.

Swinging for the fences for only one year of Dwight is one thing...adding Brother Hedo and JRich to the pot is a no longer a gamble, but a fool's errand.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Kirilinko and Shved have amazing chemistry. Going to be fun watching them play together in the NBA.

Shved so far with 16 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds and 3 steals.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:38 pm

For Sim

[youtube]sRgoNKFYmgc[/youtube]

Good lookin' out, Rat.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Always looking out for ya.