The Lockout

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

T Dot O Dot
Senior

The Lockout

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 pm

I think this deserves it's own thread, since it will be our favourite topic after the finals
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Owners Initially Asked For $45 Million Hard Cap Read more:

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 16, 2011 8:06 pm

The NBA’s initial proposal for a new collective-bargaining deal called for a $45 million per team hard salary cap along with non-guaranteed player contracts and significant cuts in annual salary increases.

The details, spelled out in an April 26 memo issued by National Basketball Players Association Executive Director Billy Hunter, marks the league’s push for a major overhaul of the NBA’s economic model and emphasizes to players an aggressive bid to significantly slash costs and shorten contracts.

The memo was sent to all NBA players and was dated just days prior to the league delivering to the union a new labor proposal, which a source said still included the $45 million hard cap but added a phase-in of the cap over a few years. Union president Derek Fisher publicly dismissed the latest proposal as too similar to the original proposal.

The memo’s most eye-popping element is the league’s proposed $45 million hard cap, which cuts the current $58 million soft cap by nearly 25 percent.
Via John Lombardo/SportsBusiness Journal

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1MYzqToti
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: The Lockout

Post by Owlman » Mon May 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Are NBA players in a stronger position than NFL players once the season starts?
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 16, 2011 9:44 pm

nope

most people believe therewill be a full nfl season (with a shortened pre-season)

the nba lockout will drag out imo

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 pm

BUt the reason I think it drags out is because the players are in a stronger position monetarily to handle a strike than NFL. There are a much lesser percentage of grunts in the NBA than in the NFL who vote in the union.
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 pm

the NFL is a cash cow that needs some tweaking, they wont let the season go to waste

the NBA is broken, the owners are prepared to bunker down & wait out the players

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon May 16, 2011 10:01 pm

T Dot O Dot wrote:the NFL is a cash cow that needs some tweaking, they wont let the season go to waste

the NBA is broken, the owners are prepared to bunker down & wait out the players
I agree. And because of that, I think the players are in a position to last longer as well
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 16, 2011 10:10 pm

I think you are over estimating how well NBA players save for a lockout

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon May 16, 2011 10:12 pm

maybe. Or perhaps I just believe that there are a greater percentage of lower paid people in the NFL than the NBA
My Dad is my hero still.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 16, 2011 10:17 pm

and a greater percentage of owners who will lose money by not having a season

there are owners in the nba who will save money by not having a season next year

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon May 16, 2011 10:20 pm

only if the court rules against the NFL that they aren't entitled to the deal with tV stations than enables the NFL owners to continued to get paid this year even if there are no games (the players will probably win in Doty's court but probably lose on appeal to the 8th Circuit, imo).
My Dad is my hero still.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:24 pm

The players may lose the appeal on ending the lockout, but they'll win on the TV deal, that was clearly an attempt to circumvent the labor laws and cheat the players. I expect there will be a huge award to the players over that TV deal, and the 8th circuit will never overturn that.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:14 am

Which labor laws?
My Dad is my hero still.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 am

Maybe it's merely law.

But the NFL failed to maximize it's revenue as it is required to do by it's agreement with the players. Essentially, the labor agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA is a revenue sharing agreement where both parties agree to split various revenues in specific ratios. The entire agreement rests on the understanding that the NFL would negotiate TV contracts to maximize current revenue. Instead, the NFL negotiated a deal with networks that resulted in lower revenue, but in return guaranteed the NFL would receive payment even if no games were played due to a labor dispute. Plainly the NFL was not acting in good faith as required by the terms of its agreement with the players.

Doty has already ruled that the owners did not act in good faith, that they constructed their TV agreement to gain an advantage over the union in case of such a dispute. The 8th circuit would have to turn the law on it's head to reverse Doty on this point.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:14 pm

There has been speculation over the past few months that many NBA players will go to Europe if there is an extended lockout.

“I think what a lot of people don’t realize is, you’re going to have a perfect storm of issues here,” Krstic’s agent, Marc Cornstein, told Sporting News.

“The economy in Europe is not great, that is a consideration. The lockout here is a big consideration. The bigger teams, like Moscow, are going to be very aggressive early. But beyond that, there are very few teams overseas that are going to be able give lucrative contracts.

“Maybe 10 or 12 teams will be able to give out $1 million contracts, and they only have 12 roster spots. A lot of those teams have players already under contract, players that they’re happy with. Not every team is going to be in a position to completely restructure the roster to bring in NBA players. None of them are, really."

As for Krstic, Cornstein said that the decision to go to Europe was strictly based on the ability to get a good deal there, and not on the lack of playing time Krstic got from the Celtics in the playoffs.
Via Sporting News

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1P59agzXP

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Also, a lot of the foreign squads have caps on the number of "immigrant" players on the roster.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

This may seem petty but.....

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 am

I present to you exhibit A.. why NBA players wont survive the lockout, it's the little things that add up

Sonny Weems - Toronto Raptors, fishing in a brand new pair of pearly white jordans

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Yep.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: This may seem petty but.....

Post by Hizzy III » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:46 am

T Dot O Dot wrote:I present to you exhibit A.. why NBA players wont survive the lockout, it's the little things that add up

Sonny Weems - Toronto Raptors, fishing in a brand new pair of pearly white jordans

Heh.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Krstic: Europe Not A Viable Option For Most Players
Jul 01, 2011 10:04 AM EDT

Nenad Krstic, after signing a two-year, $9.8 million contract early in June with CSKA Moscow, is glad he found a deal early. Despite all the talk from players about playing in Europe during the lockout, Krstic believes the overseas option is vastly overrated.

“I don’t think you will see a lot coming here,” Krstic said yesterday from his home in Kraljevo, Serbia. “Europe is not in a great situation financially. There are only four or five teams now that can offer much to NBA players, and those teams right now are almost full.

“That’s a problem for NBA players, I think,” he said. “It was a reason why I had to go right away. I got maybe the best contract in Europe because of that.”

Via Mark Murphy/Boston Herald

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1QscyGCBK