Chuck's Reading Room

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

StephieO
Recruit
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia Commonwealth

Chucks Reading Room

Post by StephieO » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Or it COULD be ....a real ghost....and maybe we cant see IF or What hes wearing. This is in the Basement and does have windows that are at Ground Level. Very hard to explain who would be in the Reading Room..at that time of morning. As I understand, Ghosts dont always look human.........

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Chuck's Reading Room

Post by aTm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:30 pm

This bot amuses me.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Chuck Nevitt
Sophomore

Post by Chuck Nevitt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Am I supposed to see something?

I'm a few books away from a complete re-read of O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin books. If anything, my enjoyment of them has gone up the second time around. I also think the later novels are better than I had first realized.

Check 'em out - don't let the nautical arcana stump you. They have glossaries for that shit.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:47 pm

You love those crazy nautical books...

(what was that bot trying to sell, anyway?)
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm

It hasn't yet tried to sell something that I can see. Its first post was the following on the Auburn thread...
Did you hear the story of the Alabama music coordinator that got fired for playing "Take the Money and Run" and "Son of a Preacher Man" during Auburn taking the field at the Iron Bowl?

That is funny. I am a life long Alabama fan, but I am glad the SEC is at the top again and I dont care how much it cost.
...which was seemingly legit enough to slip past the moderation (although still clearly a bot as it was weirdly out of content and from a user claiming to be a fan of Virginia Commonwealth). Since then it has made these two posts and it tried to post an HTML table with a the football schedule on (I think) the appropriate thread in the football forum. It actually seems to be a higher functioning user than some of our real people...
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:16 pm

If you notice it changes the subject line to get rid of the "Re:" that almost all of us leave on our post titles. Thats the easy way I catch most bots, if I see a post in the moderation queue with a changed title (usually obvious spam anyway) it gets deleted, but if it posts "Re: Chuck's Reading Room" or whatever the thread title is, i check it out.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Maybe the bot has AI where it is making its way through the minimum posts to get past moderation. That's some HAL shit right there.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Wish Bling was still around.

17 Equations that changed the world...

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/ ... n-stewart/

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 am

I LOVE the TV show "Justified," so I've started reading Elmore Leonard's books about the protagonist, Raylan Givens.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Chuck Nevitt
Sophomore

Post by Chuck Nevitt » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm on yet another re-re-reading of the Patrick O'Brian novels. Still the most consistent and rewarding series of books I've ever read.

Awhile back I was into the histories of Robert K. Massie. He wrote two books about the naval arms race and war between England and Germany. Excellent writing about the development of modern Germany, the royals and other key personalities, and the actions themselves (note: stay out of British battlecruisers when there are Germans about). I've also read his bio of Peter the Great, who dragged Russia kicking and screaming into the 18th century, ordered the building of St. Petersburg, defeated on of the least well-known invaders of Russia (Charles XII of Sweden, a real badass) and did a lot of living in fifty odd years.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue May 29, 2012 1:38 pm

I still talk to Sam and West on occasion. I even catch up with Money every few months, at least. Rev JD, Chuck, Sotola, Kenny, Dot, Sim and TMD will all pop in here at some points. However, I miss tremendously Medz and bling. They brought a lot to the table and are gone (seemingly) for good. They added a lot to my understanding and I feel slightly less informed after WX face-planted.

honorable mention to Rudjack and Jangul Powell

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Tue May 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:I LOVE the TV show "Justified," so I've started reading Elmore Leonard's books about the protagonist, Raylan Givens.
Try Swag and La Brava - two of my favorite Leonard books.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Tue May 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Bklyn wrote:I still talk to Sam and West on occasion. I even catch up with Money every few months, at least. Rev JD, Chuck, Sotola, Kenny, Dot, Sim and TMD will all pop in here at some points. However, I miss tremendously Medz and bling. They brought a lot to the table and are gone (seemingly) for good. They added a lot to my understanding and I feel slightly less informed after WX face-planted.

honorable mention to Rudjack and Jangul Powell
Medz is a mod at the new Pistons Forum & I'm pretty sure he's working in California

They left WX after one of the big crashes so they had already migrated prior to the WX shutdown

If you recall, he & TMD were of the first to offer us a new home and they had even setup Western & Eastern conference forums for us but WX'ers (cough SAM cough) weren't cool with logging into a domain called detroitpistonsforum.com

Medz, Dave Bing, TMD & Jangull are all there

He's still posting, playing in the fantasy money leagues & gettin his "Game of Thrones" on.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue May 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Send me a link, or is it simply http://www.detroitpistons.com ?

I don't have it in me to fuck around on multiple boards, but those dudes were good people.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Tue May 29, 2012 6:58 pm

http://detroitpistonsforum.com

I should let you know that they mainly keep it basketball related over there
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?