10/8 @ Michigan State
10/14 Mississippi State
10/22 @ Boise State
11/5 @ Cincinnati
11/12 Southern Utah
11/19 UMass
11/26 Utah State

Winningest Coaches
Lavell Edwards (1972-00): 257-101-3 (.716)
Bronco Mendenhall (2005- ): 82-34 (.707)
Ott Romney (1928-36): 44-31-6 (.580)
Tommy Hudspeth (1964-71): 39-42-1 (.482)
Eddie Kimball (1937-41, 1946-48): 34-32-8 (.514)
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Brigham Young Cougars

Post by aTm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 am

Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Is this the new Beer & Liquor thread?
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Liquor? I don't even know her!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Oh my

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Tue May 03, 2011 1:51 am

Lots of BCS teams on that 2011 schedule.

Going independant was the best thing they could do. As soon as the Big-XII comes a calling (and they will come calling) BYU can join immediately. No waiting a year, crap.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 am

Why would the big 12 add BYU?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

aTm wrote:Why would the big 12 add BYU?
Are you kidding? $$$$$$$$$$

$17,000,000 says they MUST add BYU and Boise to get to twelve. They can't stay at ten teams. They lose too much CCG money.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 09, 2011 7:23 pm

So you think we'll give Boise and BYU half a pie in return for a slice back?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 pm

aTm wrote:So you think we'll give Boise and BYU half a pie in return for a slice back?
The University of Texas makes all the rules in your conference, all of them. If they want BYU and Boise, rest assured, you will be adding them.

BYU and Boise add $17,000,000 to the Texas pie. They know it. You know it. I don't know (or even care) what A&M thinks, but U-of-Texas wants that $17,000,000, don't say they don't. That NCAA bylaw about 12 teams minimum for the CCG, is probably the single biggest reason BYU went independent when they did. (Because they know, eventually, Texas will be calling.)

Any amount Texas "gives" to BYU and Boise is going to be a shit load more than what they are getting now. They will be thrilled to get even partially as much as Texas is currently giving K-State.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 pm

I doubt the Big 12 minus 2 is going to be adding anyone soon. Smaller pie, larger pieces.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AugustWest » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:18 pm

the big 12 needs to add Arkansas and Cincinnati. strengthens them in football and basketball, and brings back a conference championship game worth $12mil. the sec adds Louisville or Central or south Fla, and nobody gives a shit about the big east or conference USA.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:29 am

AugustWest wrote:the big 12 needs to add Arkansas and Cincinnati. strengthens them in football and basketball, and brings back a conference championship game worth $12mil. the sec adds Louisville or Central or south Fla, and nobody gives a shit about the big east or conference USA.
1991 was the best year in the entire history or Arkansas athletics.

There is zero percent chance that Arkansas ever says goodbye to the SEC.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 am

Red Bird wrote:I doubt the Big 12 minus 2 is going to be adding anyone soon. Smaller pie, larger pieces.
The Big-XII(10) pie was reduced by $17,000,000 the moment Nebraska left.

BYU + Boise State added to Big-XII(10) = Big-XII(10) + $17,000,000 CCG

That is a pie that is $17,000,000 larger. Boise State and BYU would each agree to take just 25% of the increase if they got an invite into a BCS conference.

Stop thinking like a marxist liberal and think like an Adam Smith conservative. Make the pie bigger.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 am

Big twelve schools get more than 8 million from their conference TV deals so they'd lose money unless the new teams agreed to take less which would run counter to the new distribution plan which emphasizes equality.

Only adding power house schools might increase the size of the pie by the 35-40 million it would take to make the split work for the ten current Big 12 teams. And I don't see any schools leaving Major Conferences to Join the Big 12.

The whole conference is hanging by a thread. All it would take is an offer from the Big Ten to Missouri and poof, A&M goes to the SEC, Texas and OU join the PAC12 and all the other teams scramble for a seat somewhere.

I don't expect that to happen because the Big 10 doesn't want Missouri. So the dominoes only fall if Texas or A&M gets jumpy. In that case, OU will follow Texas, A&M will go to the SEC and everybody else better hope for a miracle. There are many here at Missouri who think the SEC would invite our school to join if they add A&M, Missouri would be a natural rival not only for the Aggies but also Arkansas and the other border schools.

Kansas people talk about the Big Ten, but they really don't offer much for football. It's possible the Jay Squawks could wrangle an invite from the Pac 12, but that'd probably depend on Texas. The real problem would be K State, Baylor and Iowa State, I can't imagine a major football conference would want any of those schools so they might have to join the MW or even look at the Big East.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 am

Red Bird wrote:Big twelve schools get more than 8 million from their conference TV deals so they'd lose money unless the new teams agreed to take less which would run counter to the new distribution plan which emphasizes equality.

Only adding power house schools might increase the size of the pie by the 35-40 million it would take to make the split work for the ten current Big 12 teams. And I don't see any schools leaving Major Conferences to Join the Big 12.

The whole conference is hanging by a thread. All it would take is an offer from the Big Ten to Missouri and poof, A&M goes to the SEC, Texas and OU join the PAC12 and all the other teams scramble for a seat somewhere.

I don't expect that to happen because the Big 10 doesn't want Missouri. So the dominoes only fall if Texas or A&M gets jumpy. In that case, OU will follow Texas, A&M will go to the SEC and everybody else better hope for a miracle. There are many here at Missouri who think the SEC would invite our school to join if they add A&M, Missouri would be a natural rival not only for the Aggies but also Arkansas and the other border schools.

Kansas people talk about the Big Ten, but they really don't offer much for football. It's possible the Jay Squawks could wrangle an invite from the Pac 12, but that'd probably depend on Texas. The real problem would be K State, Baylor and Iowa State, I can't imagine a major football conference would want any of those schools so they might have to join the MW or even look at the Big East.
The Big-Ten(12) is not offering anyone else not named Texas or Notre Dame. They are staying put at 12. None will leave.

The ACC will not expand. None will leave UNLESS they get an offer from the SEC which wont be coming.

The SEC will not expand. None will leave.

The Pac-12 will not expand (unless they get Texas.) None will leave.

12 is the magic number. 12 gives you everything. You get the big money conference championship. It is the smallest possible number you can have that could generate the most revenue exclusively for your conference.

The only team that ANY of the other conferences really want (the only team in the Big-XII[10] that they would be willing to take) is the one team that has negotiated itself the best possible deal it can by saving the Big-XII[10]. Texas would have had to share equally with the Pac-12 which means an equal revenue share with Oregon State. That was NEVER going to happen, NFW. That said, it is in the financial interest of the University of Texas (which has an entirely compliant conference) to add 2 schools that are willing to join (for peanuts) to get that CCG. BYU and Boise State are the only two schools that fit the bill (noterity on TV and performance on the field.) It allows Texas the best opportunity to negotiate the best TV contact possible.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:45 am

The Big XII will never take BYU or Boise State. These are not Flag Ship State schools, which the conference prefers; neither school is in a state which is contentious with the remaining Big XII states, neither School has either the attendance numbers or national appeal to impress the Big XII, and these schools are not academic powerhouses, which means more to this conference than some suppose. In addition, BYU is considered a poor fit culturally for the Big XII.

Your argument rests on what I think are two fallacies: First, that the Big Twelve schools want a conference Championship game. They do not. Neither the remaining former North Division schools nor any of the old South Division schools want to be in any division that separates them from Texas and the three other Texas schools. They all believe that being in a separate division from the Texas schools hurts recruiting and makes it impossible for them to win the conference. Any realignment into two divisions would be voted down by whichever six schools end up in the outsider division.

Second, the notion that not having a conference Championship costs these teams a lot of money. Big XII schools rightly believe that the Big XII championship game has repeatedly knocked conference teams out of top BCS bowl games, and that has resulted in a loss of revenue that if reversed will partly offset any loss from not having a conference championship game. A good example would be the 2007 Big XII Championship, when MU was ranked number one in the nation, but lost to OU in the Big XII Championship game. In other years both OU and Texas have lost National Title shots because they were beaten in the Big XII championship.

One last thing. Texas is not the only school that other conferences would want or take if the conference broke up. It is well known that the SEC offered membership to A&M and the PAC 10/12 offered a spot to OU. Texas does not control this conference in the way that many suppose. They almost lost this conference altogether last year, something they did not want. There is a great deal of speculation now that Texas conceded to the new revenue plan in hopes of keeping schools like Missouri from wanting to leave.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:09 am

Not that Missouri wouldn't leave if they had the chance. I'm certain that MU would leave the Big XII in ten seconds if they got an offer from the Big 10, and I suspect they would leave if they got an offer from the SEC, which I think is more likely in the long term. Missouri would bring a lot to the SEC, it would allow the conference to build a presence in the Midwest, an area that borders their region, but they have no claim to. It would open the entire region to SEC recruiting and broaden the appeal of their TV broadcasts in five states, three of them Big Ten States. It'd be like a knife stuck in the gut of the Big Ten, which brazenly contends that Missouri is Big Ten territory, while refusing to invite the States flagship school into the conference.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:36 pm

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia

Post by dave_rickart » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:40 pm

that's what happens when you can't decide between 10 wives....
Home of the 2019 National Champions.