Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Louisiana State Tigers

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Louisiana's budget crisis about to hit LSU hard. They are about to face a funding cut of 82% unless Lousiana does something to raise revenue. Despite that, the school still plans to increase spending on athletics.

So...when will the college sports bubble pop?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-fo ... d-revenue/

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... uptcy.html
The good people of Louisiana will do the right thing and double the size of Tiger stadium and give Miles a huge raise to match Saban's salary. In tough times like these, you must focus on what's really important.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:18 am

dave_rickart wrote:meanwhile, Ohio State's athletic budget was $117 mill this year....
Pretty big political differences between Louisiana and Ohio. Ohio's budget isn't a mess. Jindal and his teabagger buddies have fucked up Louisiana pretty badly through a combination of refusing to raise taxes, ever, and slashing the budget for every branch of govt.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... udget.html

LSU said earlier this week that it was drawing up paperwork for financial exigency, essentially academic bankruptcy, out of concern that state funding won't materialize for next year. The news apparently caught investors on Wall Street off guard. They were upset they hadn't been told of the bankruptcy contingency plans by the university, according to Bloomberg Business.

One of the country's three most influential credit rating agencies, Moody's Investors Service, also lowered LSU's credit outlook this month.

Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy called all of this news troubling, and said it could have ramifications for the state beyond LSU.

"We're trying to sort out the facts. This is obviously not a welcome development," Kennedy said in a written statement. "It could have ramifications for other universities in Louisiana and for the state's overall bond rating, and it could impact the interest rate on future state bond issues, including an upcoming $300 million state general obligation bond issue."

Louisiana is facing a $1.6 billion budget shortfall, and higher education is facing a 82 percent cut in state financing. LSU President King Alexander said funding at his institution could go from $3,500 per student to $660 per student if it doesn't receive more state support.

"States around the country spend more than that on their community colleges," Alexander said in an interview earlier this week.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:20 pm

"In Louisiana, we expect national championships, and we're not in it," the source told ESPN, adding that meetings are occurring Monday that could lead to a quick resolution.

Since when? 07?

Didn't realize LSU was a traditional National Powerhouse. 2 in the last 50 doesn't really give my balls a tingle.

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:23 pm

So in light of the state's impending budget meltdown, LSU is going to buyout Miles and enter a coaching sweepstakes with (so far) 15 other schools for a pool of candidates that has no obvious superstar? Say it is so Tigers. the Hatter been a thorn in many of UF's seasons.

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by KeviNole » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:02 am

Yeah it would cost LSU at least $18M up front, then an additional $6-$7M/year to get a coach like Fisher. While I have no doubt that TAF could raise the money in a week if they wanted to, it would be very poor form to say the university is virtually bankrupt but the AD can throw cash like that around. Not to mention the fact that when FSU hired Fisher as OC, we heard from a LOT of LSU fans that we had made a mistake and Fisher was a poor OC. How quickly they forget...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:43 am

They already raised the cash needed to buy him out.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:52 am

LSU imploding should make me happy. I truly like Les Miles, though.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:00 am

Les will be fine. He'd probably end up at USCw at a similar salary and not face the scrutiny or intra-divisional rival problem he has at LSU, if they decide to can him. That might be a better fit, coaching-wise, anyway.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm sure he will be fine. I like him in the SEC, though. Colorful character.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Granted Jimbo has cajun roots, but leaving FSwho when he already makes a ton and has manageable competition in the ACC makes little sense.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Jimbo doesn't really have Cajun roots, he just coached at LSU from 00-06. His roots are in West Virginia (and Alabama I suppose) but he's been in Tallahassee longer than he was in Baton Rouge. I guess his machine gun dictation might be confused for cajunism.

There's no logical reason he would leave FSU so it would all be emotion-based. While he sings the praises of the ACC as a whole each week, it might make sense to try his hand at making it in the "big time" (since the SEC-W is portrayed as NFL-lite by idiotic pundits). He could also be fed up with the FSU administration and how they didn't seem to have his back in the Jameis chronicles. Finally, with his pending divorce he might just want a change of scenery, though it would conceivably make it worse to spend time with his children if his ex-wife stays in the North FL area (and could damage him in said divorce/custody proceedings). Sure, LSU might be able to give him a pay raise of a significant nature but job security at LSU is not looking strong right now. FSU could probably come up with another $750K/year to counter-offer but we'll lose any bidding war with a big-time SEC program.

My attitude toward Fisher somewhat mirrors AA's attitude toward the rumors of Saban leaving - if he feels like his situation would improve by jumping ship, I appreciate him turning the program around and making it desirable for the next guy, and bringing us a National Championship. I think he's a good man with a strong moral compass, despite how the media likes to paint him, and I hope he finds his happiness in Tallahassee or elsewhere.

Dr. Nostron
Junior

Post by Dr. Nostron » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:36 pm

KeviNole wrote:Jimbo doesn't really have Cajun roots, he just coached at LSU from 00-06. His roots are in West Virginia (and Alabama I suppose) but he's been in Tallahassee longer than he was in Baton Rouge. I guess his machine gun dictation might be confused for cajunism.

There's no logical reason he would leave FSU so it would all be emotion-based. While he sings the praises of the ACC as a whole each week, it might make sense to try his hand at making it in the "big time" (since the SEC-W is portrayed as NFL-lite by idiotic pundits). He could also be fed up with the FSU administration and how they didn't seem to have his back in the Jameis chronicles. Finally, with his pending divorce he might just want a change of scenery, though it would conceivably make it worse to spend time with his children if his ex-wife stays in the North FL area (and could damage him in said divorce/custody proceedings). Sure, LSU might be able to give him a pay raise of a significant nature but job security at LSU is not looking strong right now. FSU could probably come up with another $750K/year to counter-offer but we'll lose any bidding war with a big-time SEC program.

My attitude toward Fisher somewhat mirrors AA's attitude toward the rumors of Saban leaving - if he feels like his situation would improve by jumping ship, I appreciate him turning the program around and making it desirable for the next guy, and bringing us a National Championship. I think he's a good man with a strong moral compass, despite how the media likes to paint him, and I hope he finds his happiness in Tallahassee or elsewhere.
Concur completely.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:46 pm

The Gray Ghost wrote:Granted Jimbo has cajun roots, but leaving FSwho when he already makes a ton, has manageable competition in the ACC, and local PD that has his back, makes little sense.
FYP.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:46 am

Jimbo must've turned LSU down.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Jimbo must've turned LSU down.
Nailed it.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 am

Brandon Harris is transferring. That isn't a real surprise.

Don't be surprised if he lands in Chapel Hill. UNC was the first school to reach out to him, and the staff is close to Les Miles. Miles' son plays for UNC as a backup QB.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 am

Hey DS, I'm in Pittsboro right now. Had lunch at the Carolina Brewery yesterday, looked across the parking lot at Lowe's and thought of you. If you'd like your old job back, I can put in a good word for you.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 am

DS,

Looks like Miles would be try to keep him away so his son could get some PT.
— Abraham Lincoln

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

AlabamAlum wrote:DS,

Looks like Miles would be try to keep him away so his son could get some PT.

His son will never be a starter at UNC barring multiple season ending injuries to those ahead of him.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am

Professor Tiger wrote:Hey DS, I'm in Pittsboro right now. Had lunch at the Carolina Brewery yesterday, looked across the parking lot at Lowe's and thought of you. If you'd like your old job back, I can put in a good word for you.
Order a Sky Blue. Damn good day drinking beer for warm weather. Tell the people at Lowe's they can burn in hell.